The most interesting story from Microsoft's recent Professional Developers Conference wasn't the vendor's future Longhorn operating system, but rather, Microsoft's shift away from two preoccupations of its recent past: .Net and Web services.
It would be hard to find a more critical function than CRM. Customers are your company’s lifeblood. You spend dearly to find and woo them, and then dearly to keep them on your side. CRM systems promise to smooth and accelerate that process.
I'm quite particular, even protective, about my development tools. Microsoft's Visual Studio 6 is the only integrated development environment that came out of the box matching the way I think and work. I bonded with VS6 so well that I used it to code...
For a recording industry with a broken business model, last week's guilty plea by three men to music piracy was a pyrrhic victory that will cost the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) dearly.
"Our primary focus is writing apps that people use all day, every day," says Jeff Murray, proprietor of Jeff Murray's Programming Shop. That's one reason he decided against an HTML interface for his Ryan White CareWare, an application used by more th...
I saw a cartoon once in which a rabbit is searching for something time consuming to do. He elects to move an entire mountain from A to B with the aid of tweezers. I laughed. Maybe because I was a kid at the time.
Back when .Net was Microsoft Corp.'s shiny new replacement for boring old Java, the Redmond rhetoricians used to make a couple of points with which I heartily agreed. First, your platform ought not be joined at the hip to a programming language. Diff...
More people than ever are downloading music from the Internet. Many use person-to-person file sharing programs like Kazaa to share and download music in MP3 format, paying nothing. This makes it difficult for companies to setup online music business...
What's the vision for the next generation of the Internet? It's a networked world where there are no walls between data. Where the concept of a "personal" computer is irrelevant. Where information is nowhere, and everywhere, all at the same time....
The next big threat to your PC is about to be unleashed. It doesn't come from shady crackers, Bulgarian virus factories or wannabe script kiddies. This hacking monster comes courtesy of corporate America.
Earlier this month, various news wires reported that Apple is considering offering $6 billion for Vivendi Universal's Universal Music Group division. The speculation of such a deal drove down Apple's share price by 8.1% to $13.20 on the day the story...
Windows Server security services - many would like you to think that's an oxymoron. But there's no question that Windows Server 2003 will be the most secure operating system ever to come out of Redmond.
Computer viruses, worms, and electronic "pulses" could be doing as much damage in Iraq as allied missiles and bombs, according to some cybersecurity experts.
Remember Y2K? Remember how all the computers in the world stopped working at midnight? Remember the Congressional congressional hearings, the martial law, the show trials? It didn't happen. Remember .Net? Remember how it threatened the very survival ...
Legislators, Hollywood lobbyists, IT industry heavyweights and law professors have been battling over how copyright law should apply to the Internet. While these mighty forces struggle over what the legal and technical landscape should look like, we ...
Singing praises about a device that literally ‘sings’ – find out what this is all about.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- BlackBerry KeyOne to launch in US and Canada in late May
- Dell XPS 15 vs. MacBook Pro 15: Fight!
- Samsung will launch new flagship smartphone months after Galaxy S8
- Ransomware attacks are taking a greater toll on victims’ wallets
- How HP reclaimed the title of world's top PC maker from Lenovo
PCW Evaluation Team
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager (Cyber Security) - Permanent - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- TPSenior iOS EngineerNSW
- FTWintel EngineerNSW
- TPIntermediate Change ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager - InfrastructureVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperACT
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSQL Server Database DeveloperSA
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystWA
- CCCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- TPApplication Support EngineerQLD
- FTUser Support AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD