In April 2003, the Network File System (NFS) version 4 Protocol was ratified as an Internet standard, described in RFC-35301, which superseded NFS Version 3 (NFSv3, specified in RFC-18132). Since the ratification of NFSv4, further advances have been made to the standard, notably NFSv4.1 (as described in RFC-56613, ratified in January 2010) that includes several new features such as parallel NFS (pNFS).
NAND Flash-based solid state storage (SSS) solutions, as they exist today, offer unparalleled performance combined with a level of data integrity and availability for mission-critical data that matches and potentially exceeds storage solutions based on mechanical, magnetic drives. Long associated with consumer electronics, NAND Flash has become a viable storage medium for commercial and governmental information systems, often referred to collectively as enterprise applications.
Solid state data storage is gaining significant acceptance today. Storage based on Ram Access Memory (RAM) and Flash chips instead of mechanical hard disk drives is earning much greater attention by meeting the market requirements for reliability, performance, and cost more effectively than ever before. Read on.
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance into some of the factors you should consider when evaluating storage security technology and solutions. As with any security project, acquiring technology is not the only step to properly protecting your data. Part of this process should include an evaluation of the current processes and security controls in place, such as physical access controls, environmental controls, and administrative controls. While there is no single set of requirements that applies to all organizations, this Guide can provide some baseline considerations.
The SNIA Dictionary contains terms and definitions related to storage and other information technologies, and is the storage networking industry's most comprehensive attempt to date to arrive at a common body of terminology for the technologies it represents. The terms go through a rigorous technical review and approval process by the SNIA Technical Council to assure their accuracy.
This white paper will explore the need for a caching and buffering technology between DRAM and HDDs and why Flash memory can be used to fill this need. We will go on to look at various ways that Flash and HDDs can be combined in a computer storage hierarchy. These technologies to combine Flash memory and HDDs include hybrid HDDs, Flash on the computer motherboard, and a combination of Flash and HDD storage devices in the same computer – paired storage systems.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More Dick Smith staff go as $2 million in underpayments is discovered
- Turn a barebones PC into a graphics powerhouse with AMD's new FirePro server GPUs
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Chromebooks are siphoning market share from Windows PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorNSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCService EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect - Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCMid to Senior Level User Experience SpecialistsNSW
- FTIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCMid-level DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW