In today’s economic climate, everyone’s feeling the pressure. No industry is safe. And no one can comfortably predict just when things will turn around. The challenge is especially great for your IT department: you need to figure out how to cut costs while keeping pace with ever-escalating demand for IT-supported business transactions. Read more.
The global economy is driving competition at an ever-increasing rate, forcing enterprises both small and large to work as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible. To reduce costs in the datacenter, many IT managers are moving to commodity x86-based servers to replace their legacy RISC servers, such as those based on Oracle SPARC processors. Read more.
To increase agility, improve productivity, and reduce costs, many enterprises are moving away from proprietary platforms to a more standardised IT infrastructure and automated processes like service provisioning and private clouds. Read more.
This paper examines two case studies where organisations were recently faced with application upgrades. In both cases the organisations needed to upgrade aging systems to accommodate increased workloads and to take advantage of functional enhancements in the latest releases of packaged applications. Both organisations found that by migrating they could cut their costs by more than half compared to upgrading to newer versions of UNIX/RISC platforms.
Companies originally chose AIX platforms because of the strength of IBM software and the robust platform on which it could run, and that choice served them well. However, in today’s fast-changing business environment, you need a flexible, cost-effective IT infrastructure that is supported on a wide range of servers to handle any workload, from small to large to virtualised cloud deployments. The same advantages, in terms of reliability, security, and performance is available today on a breadth of hardware platforms.
Building a cloud is a highly strategic IT decision. In fact, it’s perhaps the most important single decision CIOs will make this decade. But not all approaches are created equal. Of the three basic models for building a cloud, only one maximises the value of that cloud and the business benefit derived from it. Read more.
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Israeli soldiers hit in cyberespionage campaign using Android malware
- Researcher develops ransomware attack that targets water supply
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- AT&T, IBM, Nokia join to make IoT systems safer
- Apple's Plus plan pays off
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTScrum MasterQLD
- CCDesktop SupportNSW
- CCTableau ConsultantVIC
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- CCJunior Data ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD