This paper examines two case studies where organisations were recently faced with application upgrades. In both cases the organisations needed to upgrade aging systems to accommodate increased workloads and to take advantage of functional enhancements in the latest releases of packaged applications. Both organisations found that by migrating they could cut their costs by more than half compared to upgrading to newer versions of UNIX/RISC platforms.
In today’s economic climate, everyone’s feeling the pressure. No industry is safe. And no one can comfortably predict just when things will turn around. The challenge is especially great for your IT department: you need to figure out how to cut costs while keeping pace with ever-escalating demand for IT-supported business transactions. Read more.
Companies originally chose AIX platforms because of the strength of IBM software and the robust platform on which it could run, and that choice served them well. However, in today’s fast-changing business environment, you need a flexible, cost-effective IT infrastructure that is supported on a wide range of servers to handle any workload, from small to large to virtualised cloud deployments. The same advantages, in terms of reliability, security, and performance is available today on a breadth of hardware platforms.
To increase agility, improve productivity, and reduce costs, many enterprises are moving away from proprietary platforms to a more standardised IT infrastructure and automated processes like service provisioning and private clouds. Read more.
The global economy is driving competition at an ever-increasing rate, forcing enterprises both small and large to work as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible. To reduce costs in the datacenter, many IT managers are moving to commodity x86-based servers to replace their legacy RISC servers, such as those based on Oracle SPARC processors. Read more.
Building a cloud is a highly strategic IT decision. In fact, it’s perhaps the most important single decision CIOs will make this decade. But not all approaches are created equal. Of the three basic models for building a cloud, only one maximises the value of that cloud and the business benefit derived from it. Read more.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- LinkedIn ProFinder helps freelancers land jobs
- What you need to do to stop data from leaving with exiting employees
- As Zika looms, a question arises: Who gets to telecommute?
- Surveys suss out Windows 10 enterprise migration timelines
- Facebook battles to banish News Feed clickbait
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC