The CIO of any modern, mission-critical, enterprise data centre faces a raft of problems, especially concerning total cost of ownership (TCO) of the IT infrastructure, not only due to the inefficient use of the micro-processors used in that infrastructure, but also due to the energy wasted in operating the server platforms and cooling the IT environment. It is important to keep in mind that the CIO is not looking for just a better platform, but a better solution. Last year’s announcement of POWER7 was adopted readily by their base with as many as 3500 mission-critical data centres migrating from SPARC and Itanium to POWER. With this latest upgrade to the POWER7 architecture, IBM is redefining performance expectations for the IT infrastructure. They are enabling data centres to deliver enterprise applications and services faster than ever before, and at a lower cost. POWER is not going away anytime soon! If you are looking to reduce the TCO of your IT infrastructure and are concerned about your existing platforms, take a look at how IBM’s POWER7 servers raise the ceiling, again.
Reactive decision-making, while successful in the past, has proven ineffective in recent times. Organisations can no longer wait to make critical choices after an opportunity arises or a problem is uncovered. They must take a more proactive approach to running their businesses by anticipating important changes, events, and trends, and taking action before they occur. Read on.
This white paper will highlight WebFOCUS Hyperstage, an effective and economical way for users of Information Builders’ WebFOCUS BI platform to achieve outstanding reporting and analytic performance – even in the face of expanding data volumes. Hyperstage is a query-optimized data store, embedded directly into the WebFOCUS environment. Read on.
Today’s customer experience management (CEM) programs require the involvement and collaboration of all key stakeholders within the enterprise. Aberdeen Group believes that two of these stakeholders are the CIO and CMO, and they must be aligned to drive superior customer and corporate value.
Given the proliferation of external source-generated information, it's no wonder that stored data growth within the data centre now averages 50 - 80% on a compounded annual growth rate basis. This growth is only expected to accelerate - not decrease - and many enterprises should prepare to manage storage at the petabyte scale. This resource proposes a method for today's enterprise to handle this data - storage equipped for the petabyte scale. Check it out now to discover the attributes of a storage infrastructure that can be managed at the petabyte scale and learn how you can turn these attributes into concrete features of your storage.
Update your data warehouse in near real time. Run reports that once took three hours in just 20 minutes. Consolidate multiple databases onto a single platform. Exadata Database Machine loads data faster, returns queries sooner, and sets new IT performance standards. It’s secure, it’s scalable, and all of it— hardware and software. Read more.
There are four key characteristics that define big data: Volume, Velocity, Variety and Value. Volume and velocity aren't necessarily new problems for IT managers; these issues are just amplified today. The distinguishing characteristics of big data that do create new problems are the variety and low density value of the data. Learn more.
In this paper we will review Oracle GoldenGate’s capabilities and how it can be used to achieve zero downtime migration and consolidation to Oracle Exadata. We will provide high-level implementation steps for migration with GoldenGate and a customer case study example.
As business operations become more complex, the demand for change in IT increases accordingly, complete with associated risks that must be mitgrated. Today's It professionals are being asked to manage more information, and deliver that information to their users, with ever increasing quality of service, in a timely manner. And, in today's econimic climate, IT orgainisations are additionally tasked with reducing budgets and deriving greater value out of their exisiting investments.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- The Good Guys take serious aim at ASX listing
- Google Daydreams about VR, and enterprises take note
- Microsoft pledges to use more renewable energy in its data centers
- Google's mobile productivity apps bury Microsoft's
- Cybercriminals are increasingly embracing a sophisticated business-model approach
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCSecurity Consultant - Telecommunications and NetworksSA
- CCSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior IT Tester / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSystem AdmimistratorQLD
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- FTAgile CoachNSW