This paper discusses the new generation of web security offerings provided by service providers in the cloud, where protection is applied at the point where the threats are being seen—that is, directed at web-based applications. In taking the protection nearer to the threats, organisations can benefit from vastly improved internet security as the threats are stopped before they ever reach the network.
British Telecommunications depends heavily on its database infrastructure to support critical business applications. But the complexity of managing thousands of databases representing a mix of products, versions, operating systems, and hardware was taking a toll. Read more.
This whitepaper provides an overview of the evaluation process a Global Fortune 500 corporation completed to test the various features included in Oracle Advanced Compression Option, as well as the impact on space and performance they experienced.
One of Australasia’s largest and most successful recruitment and human capital management companies share their success story after recruiting a user virtualization platform, giving them control over the users and devices that have access to specific applications.
The expanded capabilities of mobile devices, such as an inbuilt camera and geo-targeting, can create unique opportunities to rethink and redesign business processes which take full advantage of true mobility. For example, a number of banks have recently deployed “deposit applications”, which let customers take a picture of a cheque in order to make a deposit. Mobile devices are not a passing event, but a shift in the computing landscape that presents unique challenges for IT teams. Find out how to best take advantage of the capabilities of mobile devices and what IT Enterprises need to consider in their implementation.
It has never been more critical that you use the proper tools to customise Web application platforms in order to meet the unique needs of your organisation or line of business. In this paper we share several options for how to easily customise the development options and discover how our solutions enable you to deploy applications quickly, eliminating the need for costly custom development. Click for more!
Effective management of your SharePoint environment is critical to its security, reliability and usefulness to your organisation. This tech brief explores the native options for managing IT solutions and explains how management solutions complement those native tools, with a focus on reporting, security, storage, backup and recovery, and user adoption.
The City of Los Angeles has 30,000+ employees and 44 different departments. When the city’s information technology agency, responsible for managing enterprise applications, was facing a $400 million deficit, it looked to Google Apps to provide the richest, most cost-effective and efficient communication solutions.
On March 22nd, 2011, Oracle announced that it would stop development of all of its software on the Itanium platform. Oracle will provide support for existing Oracle/Itanium customers on today’s products — but customers looking to take advantage of future features and functions will be forced to switch platforms. As Joe Clabby once told a reporter: “if my CIO brought me a recommendation to buy an Itanium-based server — I’d fire that CIO. From our perspective, the server market is in the midst of major consolidation and realignment. x86, Power Systems, and System z are experiencing solid growth, whilst Oracle’s Sun SPARC lines are suffering — as are HP’s Itanium lines. The first Itanium server in the Top 500 supercomputer listings of November, 2009, that we could find occupied a position at #490. In November, 2010 (the last tally), we found NO HP Itanium-based servers in the Top500. By contrast, IBM’s scale-up POWER-based servers held 38 positions in the Top500. CEOs and CIOs need to understand that advanced systems platforms are now able to execute a new class of analytics-driven applications. The midrange/high-end market is shifting — and Itanium does not appear to be positioned to ride through this shift.
Cloud or not, the fundamental obligations of service delivery don't change. IT executives need to be able to demonstrate to business stakeholders that moving to the cloud actually worked and that applications are available and performing for customers. A key challenge for CIOs is to find efficient ways to demonstrate service performance to stakeholders and to hold individual cloud providers accountable for theirs. Without such visibility you may have cloud but you will have service performance shrouded in fog. Learn more.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Start-up sells a stamp-sized Linux server for $5
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- As Dell and HPE revamp, Lenovo sets sights on enterprise cloud servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTOperations SupportNSW
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- FTBI Analyst - Data and FraudNSW
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- FTBI Developer-Micro-strategyNSW
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst | Travel IndustryQLD
- CCArcher ConsultantNSW
- CCDigital Marketing StrategistVIC
- FTSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCChange ManagerQLD
- CCCisco Voice ConsultantWA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantACT
- FTMobile DeveloperAsia
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Architect, Markets and ProductsNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistVIC
- FTOperations SupportNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Identity Access ManagementACT
- CCNetApp Storage Specialist required to join global company in SydneyNSW
- FTApplication Programmer - Software - HealthVIC
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportVIC