There's been a rapid shift from broad, scattershot attacks to advanced target attacks that have had serious consequences for victim organisations. The increased use of spear phishing is directly related to the fact that it works, as traditional security defences simply do not stop these types of attacks. This paper provides a detailed look at how spear phishing is used within advanced attacks and the key capabilities organisations need in order to effectively combat these emerging and evolving threats.
This research paper presents findings on APT-related spear phishing from February to September 2012. We analysed APT-related spear-phishing emails collected throughout this period to understand and mitigate attacks. The information we gathered not only allowed us to obtain specific details on spear phishing but also on targeted attacks. We found, for instance, that 91% of targeted attacks involve spear-phishing emails, reinforcing the belief that spear phishing is a primary means by which APT attackers infiltrate target networks.
At one point, it seemed that phishing was receding to the status of a minor issue threatening only naïve consumers. However new cybercriminals and phishing techniques have lead this to become a greater concern. Download how to find out how phishing became the No. 1 web threat, and which web security solution can best protect your company.
In this white paper we will: • Summarize the decline of Phishing 1.0. • Discuss how phishing has turned toward business and become more costly. • Outline the structure of new Phishing 2.0 attacks. • Delineate how the new campaigns evade standard antiphishing countermeasures. • Describe how web security services with real-time antiphishing capabilities can protect against Phishing 2.0 attacks.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Extreme swallows Zebra’s WLAN biz for $55 million
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Vodafone puts idle smartphones to work to fight cancer
- A look at the connected police car concept (+12 photos)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPWordpress DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Service Design Analyst- ITSMNSW
- CCSenior Software Engineer/ DeveloperSA
- FTService Lifecycle Management RepresentativeVIC
- CCDigital Content StrategistVIC
- FTSystem EngineerNSW
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCC ProgrammerACT
- FTProject Manager (Cyber Security) - Permanent - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations Specialist - Hobart/LauncestonTAS
- CCProject Engineer (Microwave)SA
- CCSenior Automation TesterVIC
- FTOracle IDM R1/R2 Implementation SpecialistNSW
- TPUAT LeadQLD
- FTSEM / PPC SpecialistNSW
- FTDesktop Delivery Team LeaderVIC
- CCAPI DeveloperVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - LMSNSW
- CCSenior Web Content AuthorACT
- FTProject Manager - ProcurementSA
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW