There's been a rapid shift from broad, scattershot attacks to advanced target attacks that have had serious consequences for victim organisations. The increased use of spear phishing is directly related to the fact that it works, as traditional security defences simply do not stop these types of attacks. This paper provides a detailed look at how spear phishing is used within advanced attacks and the key capabilities organisations need in order to effectively combat these emerging and evolving threats.
This research paper presents findings on APT-related spear phishing from February to September 2012. We analysed APT-related spear-phishing emails collected throughout this period to understand and mitigate attacks. The information we gathered not only allowed us to obtain specific details on spear phishing but also on targeted attacks. We found, for instance, that 91% of targeted attacks involve spear-phishing emails, reinforcing the belief that spear phishing is a primary means by which APT attackers infiltrate target networks.
At one point, it seemed that phishing was receding to the status of a minor issue threatening only naïve consumers. However new cybercriminals and phishing techniques have lead this to become a greater concern. Download how to find out how phishing became the No. 1 web threat, and which web security solution can best protect your company.
In this white paper we will: • Summarize the decline of Phishing 1.0. • Discuss how phishing has turned toward business and become more costly. • Outline the structure of new Phishing 2.0 attacks. • Delineate how the new campaigns evade standard antiphishing countermeasures. • Describe how web security services with real-time antiphishing capabilities can protect against Phishing 2.0 attacks.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Skype is getting infused with conversational “bots”
- Anonabox promises a portable, streamlined way to use Tor to hide your online tracks
- LinkedIn aims to make email more professional, with LinkedIn Intro
- 5G will have to do more than send speed up your phone, Ericsson says
- Wireless world record: Researchers transfer data at 100Gbps through the air
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- CCTechnical BI Business Analyst- Informatica, Oracle OBIEENSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCTest Lead-Agile, SCRUM, HP QC, JIRA, UX Government backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- FTProject Coordinator- NSW Government - reform BackgroundNSW
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW