Messaging and collaboration platforms have emerged as mission critical applications, consuming a large portion of IT spending for organisations. The rich features in these applications have significantly changed the messaging requirements and needs of today’s information from anywhere with any device, the result is an ever increasing demand on storage systems both in terms of capacity and bandwidth. Many organisations are rethinking their storage strategies to meet the demanding criteria and to handle the future requirements. Read more.
IDC conducted in-depth interviews with nine enterprise companies currently using EMC Data Domain deduplication storage systems (note: Data Domain was acquired by EMC in July, 2009). The interviews provided valuable insight into the customers' backup practices and yielded a large amount of quantitative data that IDC entered into its ROI analysis. This IDC White Paper takes a look at the specific business value associated with using Data Domain systems as part of rapidly evolving backup and data protection practices. The paper also examines how the use of Data Domain replication capabilities to move data between systems further reduced costs for backup/recovery and ongoing management, improved IT staff productivity, and increased space management efficiency.
Top 5 reasons why EMC for archiving This whitepaper provides the top five reasons why organisations looking for the best-of-breed archive software and protection storage for a true end-to-end archive solution. · Archiving inactive data from tier-1 storage is a key way to save big
· Eliminate siloes for administration savings, while maximising overall storage efficiency, typically reducing archive and backup capacity required by 10-30x.
· Archiving solution that allows you to add virtual and physical servers to meet new demands
This paper examines the results of an IDC study of enterprise organizations that have deployed IBM Power Systems to achieve workload consolidation, improved uptime, and reduced operational costs. These systems are highly virtualized platforms that supported consolidation of workloads and provided near-term payback from the initial investment.
On March 22nd, 2011, Oracle announced that it would stop development of all of its software on the Itanium platform. Oracle will provide support for existing Oracle/Itanium customers on today’s products — but customers looking to take advantage of future features and functions will be forced to switch platforms. As Joe Clabby once told a reporter: “if my CIO brought me a recommendation to buy an Itanium-based server — I’d fire that CIO. From our perspective, the server market is in the midst of major consolidation and realignment. x86, Power Systems, and System z are experiencing solid growth, whilst Oracle’s Sun SPARC lines are suffering — as are HP’s Itanium lines. The first Itanium server in the Top 500 supercomputer listings of November, 2009, that we could find occupied a position at #490. In November, 2010 (the last tally), we found NO HP Itanium-based servers in the Top500. By contrast, IBM’s scale-up POWER-based servers held 38 positions in the Top500. CEOs and CIOs need to understand that advanced systems platforms are now able to execute a new class of analytics-driven applications. The midrange/high-end market is shifting — and Itanium does not appear to be positioned to ride through this shift.
Because of the growing complexity of IT architecture, organisations need to think more strategically about their approach to license and asset management. In this whitepaper, we hear the insights from industry leaders and discuss five reasons why IT departments need a centralised, coordinated and proactive approach to license and asset management. Click to download!
Flash is quickly emerging as the preferred way to overcome performance limitations of hard disk drives, especially when your capacity requirements are relatively small and you require high performance. In this price comparison, we compare each solution's performance and capacity to address different storage challenges. Click here to download!
The Nimsoft for Server Monitoring solution supports iSeries AS400, Netware, Linux, Windows, and UNIX from a single, easy-to use console. The solution monitors core server resources (CPU, memory, disk, event logs, counters, etc.) and enables centralised management of remote processes and services (automated and manual start/restart/stop). The solution also offers packaged monitoring for a wide variety of server configurations (i.e. web, email, database, etc.). All server status information is presented in real time alarm dashboards, performance trend reports, and/or SLA compliance reports.
The role of servers in your organisation has changed substantially—with their uses, requirements, and complexity all increasing dramatically in recent years. Many of the traditional tools and techniques that worked in the past don’t suffice any more. Consequently, server monitoring presents several critical battles in today’s demanding environments. This guide looks at some of the most pressing challenges administrators face in ensuring optimal server performance, and it offers insights into the tools and strategies required to address these demands.
Unavailable IT systems can compromise business results in the form of decreased profitability, reduced employee productivity, revised customer loyalties, and even the inability to continue as a viable company. As organisations strive to minimize planned and unplanned downtime, the importance of IT infrastructure choices, administrative skills, and operational processes increases. Read more.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- HP upgrades the Envy 13 laptop with Kaby Lake, debuts the 4K Envy 27 display
- HP's Spectre x360 puts Kaby Lake and Thunderbolt into a thinner, faster package
- Apple to replace defective USB-C cables that shipped with some 12-inch MacBooks
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTesting and Support Services ManagerNSW
- TPTechnical Specialist, Identity and Acess ManagementVIC
- FTHealth Software Support Consultant - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- FTData Integration or Big Data Specialist (Sales) - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- CCWindows 365 Engineer - start ASAPNSW
- FTSenior Manager AnalyticsVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Wealth/ AdviceNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SQLNSW
- CCLotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTService Lifecycle RepresentativeQLD
- CCSystem EngineerVIC
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Software Engineer/ DeveloperSA
- CCTechnical lead (Informatica MDM)QLD
- TPHRIS Project Delivery ManagerQLD
- TPSAP FICO Functional AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- CCWintel Server SupportACT
- FTSOE Team LeaderWA
- FTServer Infrastructure Team LeaderACT
- CCPerformance Test AnalystVIC
- TPMicrosoft BI DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Consultant/ArchitectNSW
- CCSAP CRM Technical LeadACT