Virtualisation and cloud computing have become increasingly important as a means to increase flexibility and support growing business requirements for new IT services. Many organisations have deployed virtualised IT infrastructures based on x86 servers to take advantage of lower costs and open architecture that enables a choice of vendors for software components such as operating system, virtualization software, and management tools. Read more.
This guide reviews the approach that we recommend for planning and implementing the migration of applications on an IBM power system running AIX to Oracle's Sun Fire's X4800 Server with the Intel Xeon Processor 7560 running Oracle Linux 5.5 operating system. We explain how to move a sample application with an IBM DB2 database on a IBM Power System to an Oracle database 11g Release 2 database on Oracle Sun Fire X4800 Server running Linux 5.5. Read more.
Data growth is not only driving up storage costs, but also transforming performance and efficiency requirements for storage systems. IDC estimated that in 2011, the amount of information created and replicated would surpass 1.8 zettabytes (1.8 trillion gigabytes) - growing by a factor of nine in just five years. Read how IT managers are looking for new storage solutions that can address today’s needs for managing large amounts of data.
If you sit down with any storage vendor, you’re likely to hear that its solution can do everything you need and that its product is the perfect solution. In many cases, the truth isn’t revealed until it’s too late. Whether you are consolidating your storage, trying to improve application performance, or looking to get the most out of your databases, it’s important to ask the right questions. This quick guide will arm you with the questions you need to consider when reviewing your storage strategy.
As we have seen over the past few years, storage requirements are exploding throughout the enterprise. Nowhere is this more evident than in the enterprise data center. Moreover, within the data centre, requirements for Tier-3 storage in support of long-term archiving and also for data backup and recovery is placing a tremendous strain on enterprise resources, both human and financial. Read more.
Recent years have seen growing interest in various approaches to clouds and server virtualization. So far, most cloud use cases focus on application servers. Yet, there are many reasons user organisations also need a “database cloud” for database management systems (DBMSs), data, and data-driven applications such as business intelligence (BI) and data warehousing (DW). Read more.
Almost all respondents report data growth over the past year and one-third of respondents report the amount of data within their enterprises grew by 25% or more in this time period. Almost one out of ten sites now has data stores in the petabyte range. A third of respondents report the amount of data within their enterprises grew by 25% or more over the past year. Read more.
In today’s world, corporations are generating massive amounts of data, requiring advanced techniques to protect, store and analyze this data. Database management systems have thus become an integral part of the day to day operation of a business. The purpose of this database manageability and productivity cost comparison study is to provide IT decision makers with factual information to address the rise in costs associated with managing a database platform on a day-to-day basis. Read more.
As business operations become more complex, the demand for change in IT increases, along with the associated risks that must be mitigated. Today’s IT professionals are asked to manage more information and deliver it to their users in a timely manner with ever-increasing quality of service. And in today’s economic climate, IT must also reduce budgets and derive greater value out of existing investments. Read more.
This paper provides recommendations and best practices for optimizing virtualisation infrastructures when deploying the Oracle Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure. It covers deployment of software, hardware, storage, and network components and is intended to serve as a practical guide to help IT organisations get up and running quickly while maximising the benefits of Oracle VM.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- More Dick Smith staff go as $2 million in underpayments is discovered
- Turn a barebones PC into a graphics powerhouse with AMD's new FirePro server GPUs
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Chromebooks are siphoning market share from Windows PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk, Service Support- Remedy or SAP backgroundNSW
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCWintel Support EngineerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCSenior Change Analyst - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- CCBusiness and Financial AnalystACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorNSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst |Telecommunications / DigitalNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCImmediate iOS Developer RequiredNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC