The data center has gone through several major evolutionary changes over the past several decades, and each change has been defined by major shifts in computing. The shift to a virtual data center will be the single biggest transition in the history of computing. This transition will reshape all the major data center tiers: applications, storage, servers and the network. This paper examines the drivers of this transition, provides real-world case studies and includes data centre fabric best practices.
Many Asia-Pacific organisations lack or are hindered in their ability to integrate, analyse, and extract insights from multiple internal and external databases. When it comes to big data, Asia-Pacific organisations lag behind the U.S. and Europe in data warehouse, business intelligence, and analytics investments. But don’t expect that to last. Download to find out the big shifts in marketing strategies to improve behavioural targeting and personalisation.
The Oracle Exadata Database Machine is an easy to deploy solution for hosting the Oracle Database that delivers the highest levels of database performance available. The Exadata Database Machine is a “cloud in a box” composed of database servers, Oracle Exadata Storage Servers, an InfiniBand fabric for storage networking and all the other components required to host an Oracle Database. Read more.
Messaging and collaboration platforms have emerged as mission critical applications, consuming a large portion of IT spending for organisations. The rich features in these applications have significantly changed the messaging requirements and needs of today’s information from anywhere with any device, the result is an ever increasing demand on storage systems both in terms of capacity and bandwidth. Many organisations are rethinking their storage strategies to meet the demanding criteria and to handle the future requirements. Read more.
This paper focuses on some of the most common platforms that content can be moved from: Windows Server file shares, Exchange public folders, and previous versions of SharePoint. However, the strategies discussed can also be applied to content from other sources, such as Documentum, Novell or UNIX file shares, Notes databases, and web sites.
Low cost servers, used for applications such as sales force automation and workgroup collaboration, had contributed to server sprawl, causing the data center to outgrow available power and cooling capacity. Server virtualisation helped but had begun to slow network performance. “We wanted 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity without the expense of building a new data center,” says Rory Regan, network and telecom manager, Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated. “We decided to build a new data center network that would continue to work with our existing servers and storage as we gradually migrated to a unified fabric.” Read this case study
British Telecommunications depends heavily on its database infrastructure to support critical business applications. But the complexity of managing thousands of databases representing a mix of products, versions, operating systems, and hardware was taking a toll. Read more.
This paper examines two case studies where organisations were recently faced with application upgrades. In both cases the organisations needed to upgrade aging systems to accommodate increased workloads and to take advantage of functional enhancements in the latest releases of packaged applications. Both organisations found that by migrating they could cut their costs by more than half compared to upgrading to newer versions of UNIX/RISC platforms.
This whitepaper provides an overview of the evaluation process a Global Fortune 500 corporation completed to test the various features included in Oracle Advanced Compression Option, as well as the impact on space and performance they experienced.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- SanDisk builds tougher flash for IoT devices
- It's official: HP will break itself in two
- Seagate launches 4TB portable drive with wireless smartphone backup
- Planned new USB connector will fit both ways
- Toshiba offers to buy failed SSD maker OCZ
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- FTSenior Change Manager - Capital MarketsNSW
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT