This paper describes the principles of the new, commercially available data centre architecture that can be implemented today to dramatically improve the electrical efficiency of data centres.
Using virtualisation to reduce the number of servers in the data center immediately reduces power, cooling and space requirements, lowering ongoing OPEX. Reducing the number of servers also reduces expensive space requirements, allowing for more services to be added to an existing data center, extending the life of this large investment
This paper examines the benefits to be gained through convergence; how to overcome the organisational barriers to adoption and the catalysts for adoption of converged architecture.
Low cost servers, used for applications such as sales force automation and workgroup collaboration, had contributed to server sprawl, causing the data center to outgrow available power and cooling capacity. Server virtualisation helped but had begun to slow network performance. “We wanted 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity without the expense of building a new data center,” says Rory Regan, network and telecom manager, Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated. “We decided to build a new data center network that would continue to work with our existing servers and storage as we gradually migrated to a unified fabric.” Read this case study
The data center has gone through several major evolutionary changes over the past several decades, and each change has been defined by major shifts in computing. The shift to a virtual data center will be the single biggest transition in the history of computing. This transition will reshape all the major data center tiers: applications, storage, servers and the network. This paper examines the drivers of this transition, provides real-world case studies and includes data centre fabric best practices.
Cisco Unified Fabric Switching at a glance - view the product portfolio, features and key benefits. Download this free data centre poster.
If it’s becoming something of a cliché that the financial services industry is one of the world’s most heavily regulated, that’s largely because it’s true. Data retention and archiving, authentication and authorisation, data loss prevention and privacy regulations compete with demands for transparency and accountability, while market imperatives calling for multiple service channels delivered over a broad spread of technologies add to the pressure. Read on.
DON’T. PANIC. Aligning business and IT needs has always been a challenge. Finding the right balance between ensuring the safety of sensitive data and enabling the free flow of information is increasingly difficult in today’s evolving regulatory and threat environment. Read on.
Many Asia-Pacific organisations lack or are hindered in their ability to integrate, analyse, and extract insights from multiple internal and external databases. When it comes to big data, Asia-Pacific organisations lag behind the U.S. and Europe in data warehouse, business intelligence, and analytics investments. But don’t expect that to last. Download to find out the big shifts in marketing strategies to improve behavioural targeting and personalisation.
This IDC Insight explores the differentiators of CommVault's Simpana data and information management software and the customer challenges the help address. The focus of this Insight is on the data management and data protection capabilities on Simpana.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Join the PC World newsletter!
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Rolling blog: Industry reacts to Budget 2016
- Budget 2016: A "missed opportunity" for startups
- Aussie start-up, Rundl, hits $5bn transaction milestone
- Uber faces more lawsuits for classifying drivers as contractors
- Michael Dell talks to EMC World about massive merger
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- FTSystem testersACT
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSenior Analyst Designer / AWS and AzureVIC
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD