IT teams are looking for robust, enterprise-grade virtualization platforms can now choose from VMware, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualisation, Microsoft Hyper-V and others. Consequently, more organisations are looking to run multiple virtualisation platforms. While monitoring and managing performance in virtualised environments has traditionally presented a range of challenges to IT administrators, those challenges are exacerbated in environments running multiple virtualisation platforms. This paper looks at how heterogeneous virtualisation environments are growing more common in today’s organisations, and it offers a set of best practices administrators can use to efficiently and effectively manage performance in these environments.
Low cost servers, used for applications such as sales force automation and workgroup collaboration, had contributed to server sprawl, causing the data center to outgrow available power and cooling capacity. Server virtualisation helped but had begun to slow network performance. “We wanted 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity without the expense of building a new data center,” says Rory Regan, network and telecom manager, Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated. “We decided to build a new data center network that would continue to work with our existing servers and storage as we gradually migrated to a unified fabric.” Read this case study
The Passage to ITaaS via Virtualisation and the Cloud It’s hard to find a CIO who hasn’t started along the path towards virtualisation. Yet while the first leg of the journey delivers impressive gains, CIOs with the vision to deliver ITaaS stand to reap far greater rewards. Read on.
Business Process Management (BPM) is an approach to aligning business strategy with execution. In this paper, we discuss common BPM adoption patterns and best-practices across different industries to illustrate the value of BPM in terms Efficiency, Visibility and Agility.
Current trends in the adaption and deployment of virtualisation suggest that as an organisation gains experience, each implementation requires a different technique. A stratified approach to a company’s long-term virtualisation and cloud computing strategy allows the right skills set to be built alongside the resolution of each scale and complexity issue presented. Read more to understanding where you are and how you can compare for the future.
One of the key strategies that IT teams are pursuing to reduce capital costs while boosting asset utilisation is the transition to highly virtualised data centers. IDC finds, however, that expectations for further boosts in IT asset use and operational efficiency often fail to materialise due to overloaded storage and data network facilities, overprovision of storage capacity, and a quantum leap in storage/network administration workloads. In combination, these problems can quickly overwhelm any hoped for benefits as the scope of virtual server deployment expands.
The last 100 years have brought dramatic change for information technology. IT has moved from a specialised tool to become a pervasive influence on nearly every aspect of life.The IT industry has moved from vacuum tubes to the first programmable computers and far beyond. Today, as the planet becomes smarter and as interactive data proliferates, IT has become a part of the very fabric of business—and of the way we live our lives. Read more.
Cloud computing is a disruptive transformation for IT. Public cloud offerings allow the business to directly access external services, creating security holes and quality blind spots while potentially eroding enterprise IT’s perceived value. To become internally agile and efficient, IT must go beyond just virtualizing servers to provide elastic, on-demand private cloud services. At the same time, IT needs to transform itself into the master of a dynamic service supply chain, driving smart sourcing decisions and orchestrating how internal, external, virtual, and traditional resources work together to optimize business value.
One of Australasia’s largest and most successful recruitment and human capital management companies share their success story after recruiting a user virtualization platform, giving them control over the users and devices that have access to specific applications.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Amazon will literally truck your data into its cloud
- New supercomputer will unite x86, Power9 and ARM chips
- AWS comes out swinging with A.I. services
- How Trump will attack the FCC's net neutrality rules
- San Francisco’s Muni transit system reportedly hit by ransomware
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTWinforms Developer - European Integration ProgramVIC
- FTIndustry Engagement ManagerVIC
- FT2 x Firewall Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCWeb Designer or Visual Interactional DesignerNSW
- FTServicing Financial Planner - CBDVIC
- FTTechnical Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- TPProcurement & Contracts ManagerQLD
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service ProviderVIC
- FTJava Security SpecialistNSW
- TP.NET Developer (Sitecore)QLD
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)QLD
- FTSecurity Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCiOS Developer - 6 Month ContractNSW
- FTService Desk Consultants - Urgent - Large multinational!!NSW
- FTSecurity EngineerVIC
- CCIngres DeveloperSA
- CCDeployment Project EngineerNSW
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- TPSHAREPOINT SPECIALISTQLD
- CCSecurity Consultant (Perth CBD based)VIC
- TPIT Project OfficerVIC