Travelers, throw your modems away

Last month, Australian software developer NetPort released Netport-Connect, a service that enables travellers to log onto the Net by plugging their computer into serial ports installed in hotel rooms.

The service does not require use of a modem because the serial ports are wired internally to a central server in the hotel.

Use of the service costs 50 cents per minute, with a billing limit of $20.00 per day per person. Access to the service is free after 40 minutes of use.

According to Netport's estimates of standard hotel occupancy, and assuming a 10 per cent guest usage level, usage of the service in one hotel can generate revenues of around $200,000 in one business year. It retains 85 per cent of revenues and the remaining 15 per cent kept by the hotel. Netport does not charge hotels for installation costs.

To enable guests' computers to operate the service, hotels give guests Netport-Connect software disks. The software installation does not require reconfiguration of existing PC settings and the service is billed directly onto guest accounts.

Netport currently has deals in place with ANA and Sheraton hotel chains, and is halfway through a 20-hotel installation deal with hotel chain Mirvac.

Currently, Netport-Connect is installed in 1200 hotel rooms, with 4000 contracted to be finished by the end of 1999.

After a successful trial, the service will also be installed in Qantas Club lounges globally early next year.

Join the PC World newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.

Our Back to Business guide highlights the best products for you to boost your productivity at home, on the road, at the office, or in the classroom.

Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Byron Kaye

PC World
Show Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Latest News Articles


PCW Evaluation Team

Azadeh Williams

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.

Andrew Grant

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.

Ed Dawson

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.

Michael Hargreaves

Windows 10 for Business / Dell XPS 13

I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.

Aysha Strobbe

Windows 10 / HP Spectre x360

Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!

Mark Escubio

Windows 10 / Lenovo Yoga 910

For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.

Featured Content

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?