A shadow cast over Dreamcast

Despite Sega's "amazement" with international Dreamcast sales, the Web-based gaming console has met with an "okay" response locally, according to Harvey Norman's John Slack-Smith.

According to Slack-Smith, Harvey Norman's general manager for computers and technology, the launch of Sega's Dreamcast was challenged even before the launch due to understocking.

"Only 70 per cent of our stores were stocked yesterday for the launch today," he said on Tuesday. "We had stock arriving at the other 30 per cent over the course of today."

Scott Millard, Sega's head of PR and promotions for the Dreamcast, said stocking difficulties were only due to retailer misestimates, because there were enough consoles in the country to meet all retailer demands, he said.

Additionally, Slack-Smith said vital software and peripherals would only be made available this Friday.

"It's been a disjointed start to the program," he concluded.

Although the product could be used for low cost non-games related Internet access through Telstra Big Pond, Slack-Smith said it was "very disappointing" to learn the browser to access the Net would not be available until the end of February next year.

Millard conceded Sega had considered launching the console in February - along with the Internet software - but decided to give consumers the chance to use the machine, even without the Internet.

He said consumers purchasing the product before February would be mailed the required software card as soon as it was released.

"Sales of this unit would go to two specific areas," said Slack-Smith. "Number one: the gamer, number two: people wanting a low cost alternative to the Internet. We just wiped out number two," he said.

Join the PC World newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.

Our Back to Business guide highlights the best products for you to boost your productivity at home, on the road, at the office, or in the classroom.

Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Byron Kaye

PC World
Show Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Latest News Articles


PCW Evaluation Team

Azadeh Williams

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.

Andrew Grant

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.

Ed Dawson

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.

Michael Hargreaves

Windows 10 for Business / Dell XPS 13

I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.

Aysha Strobbe

Windows 10 / HP Spectre x360

Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!

Mark Escubio

Windows 10 / Lenovo Yoga 910

For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.

Featured Content

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?