AMD posts Q1 net loss, plans IPO for Spansion

AMD recorded a first-quarter net loss due to the performance of its memory group, and has filed to sell shares in that group as part of an IPO.

Growing losses from its Spansion flash memory business have resulted in a second consecutive quarterly net loss at Advanced Micro Devices.

AMD has also announced that Spansion has filed a registration statement with the US Securities and Exchange Commission to sell shares as part of an initial public offering.

AMD's processor business had another excellent quarter, posting record revenue and profit figures. Overall company revenue was $US1.23 billion, slightly higher than the estimates of analysts polled by Thomson First Call. The processor business accounted for $US750 million of that revenue in the company's first quarter, which ended on March 27.

But Spansion's $US110 million loss in the quarter swamped the processor group's operating profit of $US92 million, and led to an overall net loss of $US17 million or loss per share of $US0.04 including the performances of AMD's other businesses. Analysts had expected AMD to post earnings per share of $US0.02.

In January, AMD chairman, president, and chief executive officer, Hector Ruiz, did not try to hide his disappointment with the performance of Spansion in the fourth quarter.

The flash memory unit was blamed for dragging AMD into a net loss for the fourth quarter, and financial analysts have called for AMD to separate itself from the volatile memory business.

Spansion had lost $US39 million during this quarter.

AMD owns 60 per cent of Spansion, Fujitsu owns the other 40 per cent.

Join the newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.
Rocket to Success - Your 10 Tips for Smarter ERP System Selection
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Tom Krazit

IDG News Service
Show Comments


James Cook University - Master of Data Science Online Course

Learn more >


Sansai 6-Outlet Power Board + 4-Port USB Charging Station

Learn more >

Victorinox Werks Professional Executive 17 Laptop Case

Learn more >



Back To Business Guide

Click for more ›

Brand Post

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles


PCW Evaluation Team

Louise Coady

Brother MFC-L9570CDW Multifunction Printer

The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use

Edwina Hargreaves

WD My Cloud Home

I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.

Walid Mikhael

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.

Ben Ramsden

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.

Sarah Ieroianni

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.

Ratchada Dunn

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.

Featured Content

Product Launch Showcase

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?