Kodak, Sanyo to close OLED venture

Kodak and Sanyo Electric will close their OLED (organic light emitting diode) display manufacturing joint venture in Japan, the two companies said Tuesday.

Eastman Kodak and Sanyo Electric will close their OLED (organic light emitting diode) display manufacturing joint venture in Japan, the two companies said Tuesday.

SK Display was established in Japan in 2001 on the back of a joint research and development project that began in 1999. Sanyo owns 66 percent of the company and Kodak owns the remaining 34 percent. The venture began manufacturing OLED displays in 2003 but has not managed to become a major player in the market.

Under a deal worked out between the two companies, Sanyo will first buy Kodak's stake in the venture then shut it down. The price Sanyo will pay for the stake has yet to be worked out, a spokesman said.

OLED displays are an emerging technology. The OLED pixels feature an organic material that emits its own light so no backlight is needed. That means the display panels consume less power and can be made thinner than competing LCD (liquid crystal display) screens. OLEDs are also suitable for moving images and offer good color reproduction.

Small commercial OLED displays produced by companies including SK Display have already found their way into devices such as cell phones and digital still cameras. Manufacturers are still researching technology that will enable the production of larger screens and some companies are talking about the possibility of OLED-based televisions.

SK Display has a small fraction of the global market for OLED displays, according to figures from NPD Group's DisplaySearch.

During the third quarter of 2005, global OLED shipments totaled 16.7 million, a rise of 144 percent against the same period a year earlier, according to the market research company. However, total shipments of active-matrix OLEDs, which is the type produced by SK Display, Sony and AU Optronics, totaled just 50,000 units, DisplaySearch said.

In revenue terms, the market leader is Samsung SDI, which shipped US$37.1 million worth of OLEDs during the quarter, according to DisplaySearch estimates. Samsung SDI was followed by RiTdisplay with US$26.8 million, Pioneer with US$17.9 million, Univision Technology with US$15 million and TDK with US$7.6 million. The entire OLED market was worth US$130.9 million in the quarter, said DisplaySearch.

The move comes as part of Sanyo's overall corporate restructuring plan, which is pushing the company to focus on core businesses and cut others.

On Tuesday, Sanyo announced quarterly earnings for the October to December 2005 period. It said net sales were YEN 611.5 billion (US$5.2 billion as of Dec. 31, the last day of the period being reported), down 1.5 percent on the same period last year, and net income was a profit of YEN 6.2 billion versus a loss of YEN 17.6 billion a year earlier.

Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Martyn Williams

IDG News Service
Show Comments

Brand Post

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles


PCW Evaluation Team

Luke Hill


I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.

Emily Tyson

MSI GE63 Raider

If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.

Laura Johnston

MSI GS65 Stealth Thin

If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.

Andrew Teoh

Brother MFC-L9570CDW Multifunction Printer

Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category

Louise Coady

Brother MFC-L9570CDW Multifunction Printer

The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use

Edwina Hargreaves

WD My Cloud Home

I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.

Featured Content

Product Launch Showcase

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?