Dell laptop fire destroys home

Damage estimated at more than US$100,000

A fire that destroyed a single-family home in Biddeford, Maine, last week has been blamed on a Dell laptop that was plugged in and re-charging while sitting on a living room couch.

Christopher Stanford, a state fire marshal investigator, said the house fire began at about 8:30 a.m. last Monday after the owners used the computer, then left it plugged in to charge while they went to work. The Dell Inspiron 1200 apparently "had something happen with the cord or the power unit on the cord," Stanford said, because the damage was most severe where the laptop and cord were located in the house.

"That was the only thing we had in terms of a heat source," Stanford said. Fire officials ruled out other potential causes or arson.

"The couch was totally burned out and the laptop was still sitting on what remained of the sofa" when Stanford conducted his investigation. No one was home at the time of the fire. The single-family detached house, which was about 130 years old, was a total loss with damage estimated at more than $US100,000, Stanford said.

It was the second house fire caused by a laptop in the area since last summer, when a Compaq laptop erupted in flames and destroyed another home, he said.

A spokesperson for Dell in Austin, Texas, could not be reached for comment. The owners of the home also could not be reached.

The laptop was reportedly not among the computers recalled last year for battery problems that could cause overheating and fires.

Join the newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.
Rocket to Success - Your 10 Tips for Smarter ERP System Selection
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Todd R. Weiss

Show Comments



Victorinox Werks Professional Executive 17 Laptop Case

Learn more >



Back To Business Guide

Click for more ›

Brand Post

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles


PCW Evaluation Team

Louise Coady

Brother MFC-L9570CDW Multifunction Printer

The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use

Edwina Hargreaves

WD My Cloud Home

I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.

Walid Mikhael

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.

Ben Ramsden

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.

Sarah Ieroianni

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.

Ratchada Dunn

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.

Featured Content

Product Launch Showcase

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?