RepRap: An open source 3D printer for the masses

Project founder on making self-replication technology affordable through open source hardware and software

What is the RepRap shot glass tradition?

That was started by a Kiwi - Vik Olliver. He designed the glass, which is easy for the machine to make and which allows us to test things like how much overhang we can build unsupported. Now anyone who makes a machine starts with the glass, and toasts the new machine in that glass that it has made for itself.

How will RepRap 2.0 Mendel differ from the Darwin 1.0 design?

The two main differences will be:

Firstly, it will also build with an electrical conductor, allowing the machine to make its own (and other) circuitry. This may even include simple electric motors.

Secondly, it will have a range of material write heads that it can pick up and put down automatically. RepRap 1.0 "Darwin" has two fixed heads, allowing it to work with two materials simultaneously. Mendel will work with half a dozen or so at once.

There will be other technical differences, like we may change the microcontroller that the machine uses, and we may switch from using stepper motors (precise and simple, but low efficiency and expensive) to servo motors (clever control needed for precision, but high efficiency and cheap).

How far away is RepRap from producing complex electronics like a mobile phone or an MP3 player, or glass and metal objects?

If you want 90 per cent of a mobile phone or MP3 player, and are prepared to buy the other 10 per cent (essentially the chips), then pretty soon (maybe four years at a guess). Ten years to being able to do the lot.

Glass needs high temperature, of course, so that'll take a while. But the electrical conductor we'll be using is a metal. It's called Field's metal and it melts at 60 degrees C.

Is the Darwin 1.0 design ready for anyone to access and build their own RepRap?

Companies are already selling kits. The design isn't quite finalized yet, but is close enough that hackers are happy to build one in the knowledge that they won't have any major changes to make when we do our first official release. The machine works at the moment, and as it can make parts for itself it is particularly easy to upgrade...

Join the PC World newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.
Rocket to Success - Your 10 Tips for Smarter ERP System Selection
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Andrew Hendry

Computerworld
Show Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles

Resources

PCW Evaluation Team

Matthew Stivala

HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer

The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.

Armand Abogado

HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer

Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.

Azadeh Williams

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.

Andrew Grant

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.

Ed Dawson

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730

As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.

Michael Hargreaves

Windows 10 for Business / Dell XPS 13

I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.

Featured Content

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?