New VIA VX800 Series Chipsets to Extend VIA Leadership in Ultra Mobile Market
- 01 April, 2008 10:35
<p>Taipei, Taiwan, 1 April 2008 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator of power efficient x86 processor platforms, today announced the new VIA VX800 Series of digital media IGP chipsets featuring the latest video, graphics and connectivity performance in a single chip measuring just 33x33mm.</p>
<p>The VIA VX800 Series comprises two primary digital media IGP chipsets, the VIA VX800 for ultra thin and light notebooks, mini PCs and embedded devices, and the ultra low voltage VIA VX800U for the fast-expanding ultra mobile market, including the rapidly-emerging mini-note, UMPC and UMD markets.</p>
<p>Strategic to the continued success of the VIA Ultra Mobile Platform based on the VIA C7®-M ULV processor, the VIA VX800U looks set to further boost VIA’s leadership in ultra mobile platforms, packing a host of features into an even more power efficient package with a maximum power draw of only 3.5 watts.</p>
<p>Bringing high quality graphics, video and memory performance to ultra compact x86 systems, the VIA VX800U series delivers full Microsoft® DirectX® 9 3D graphics, high definition video and audio playback, and support for up to 4GB of DDR2 system memory.</p>
<p>Fully Microsoft Windows Vista™ compliant, the VIA VX800 Series supports both current VIA C7, VIA C7-M and VIA Eden processors and also upcoming processors based on the VIA Isaiah Architecture, ensuring vendors can offer a wider range of performance and price points utilizing the same platform infrastructure.</p>
<p>“The explosive growth of the Mini-Note category and the emerging Ultra Mobile Device category has clearly demonstrated the increased importance on low power, high performance, and small footprint,” and said Richard Brown, Vice President of Corporate Marketing, VIA Technologies, Inc. “The VIA VX800 Series goes a long way towards maintaining VIA’s leadership in the ultra mobile and other key market segments, and allows our customers to bring products with enhanced features and performance to market faster.”</p>
<p>About the VIA VX800 Series Digital Media IGP Chipsets
The VIA VX800 Series integrates all the cutting-edge features of a modern chipset's North and South bridges into a single chip package measuring just 33mm x 33mm, generating a silicon real estate saving of over 42% over traditional twin-chip core logic implementations.</p>
<p>The series comprises two skus; the VIA VX800 is targeted at mini green PCs, full featured and thin ’n’ light notebooks, and high performance embedded systems, with a maximum power consumption (TDP max) of 5 watts, while the ultra low voltage VX800U has been designed for the exciting ultra mobile device market, and boasts a maximum power draw of a miserly 3.5 watts. By strictly adhering to VIA’s stringent power efficiency design parameters, complete processor platform power draw can be limited to as low as 7.5 watts.</p>
<p>Key features of the VIA VX800 Series
• High Performance 3D Graphics: The VIA Chrome9™ HC3 integrated graphics core boasts full DirectX 9.0 support
• Powerful Image Enhancement Technology: The VIA Chromotion™ video engine delivers a Hi-Def™ visual experience, including advanced video acceleration for MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV9, VC1 and DiVX video formats, plus a VMR capable HD video processor.
• The Warmth of HD Audio: The built-in VIA Vinyl HD Audio controller supports up to eight high definition channels with a 192kHz sampling rate, delivering a richer all-round digital media experience.
• Intuitive Memory Technology: VIA's renowned memory controller technology supports the lower power, high-bandwidth DDR2 memory modules.
• Seamless Networking: Makes Wifi connectivity easy, with added support for Gigabit Ethernet networking (VIA VX800) and 10/100 Fast Ethernet.
• Extended Peripheral Connectivity: Interconnects up to PCI Express (VIA VX800) for high bandwidth peripherals, plus hard drive connectivity up to SATA II as well as PATA (IDE), six USB2.0 ports, and four PCI slots.
• Display Flexibiity: An integrated multi-configuration LVDS transmitter enables display connection to embedded panels, as well as CRT monitors.</p>
<p>Special features for the consumer electronics and embedded markets include support for the low power device interfaces of SDIO, UART and SPI, as well as for the popular memory card interfaces of SD, MMC and MS.</p>
The VIA VX800 Series chipsets will start shipping in April 2008; for more information and full specifications, please visit the VIA website at:
<p>About VIA Technologies, Inc.
VIA Technologies, Inc is the foremost fabless supplier of power efficient x86 processor platforms that are driving system innovation in the PC, client, ultra mobile and embedded markets. Combining energy-saving processors with digital media chipsets and advanced connectivity, multimedia and networking silicon enables a broad spectrum of computing and communication platforms, including its widely acclaimed ultra compact mainboards. Headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, VIA’s global network links the high tech centers of the US, Europe and Asia, and its customer base includes the world’s top OEMs and system integrators. www.via.com.tw</p>
<p>VIA PR Contact</p>
<p>International: Richard Brown
Phone: (886)-2-2218-5452 #6201
<p>Note to reporters, editors and writers: VIA is written in ALL CAPS.</p>
<p>The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.</p>