AMD to spin off chip fabs to raise funds

AMD is splitting off its manufacturing operations into a separate company to cut costs and get an infusion of capital.

Advanced Micro Devices plans to split into two companies, one to design chips and one to make them, while two investment funds owned by the government of Abu Dhabi will contribute new capital, it said Tuesday. AMD hopes the move will give it the resources it needs to compete effectively with Intel, which dominates the microprocessor industry.

The Advanced Technology Investment Company (ATIC), created by the government of Abu Dhabi, will buy a substantial stake in the chip-making operation, tentatively called The Foundry Co. and contribute additional funds over the next five years to build a new chip fabrication plant, or fab, in New York state and to upgrade one of two AMD fabs near Dresden in Germany. The Foundry Co. will remain headquartered in the U.S., and will also make chips for other companies.

ATIC will invest US$1.4 billion directly in The Foundry Co. and pay another US$700 million to AMD, giving it 55.6 percent of the new company and half the seats on the board. AMD will contribute intellectual property rights and its Dresden fabs to the company. AMD will own the remaining 44.4 percent and control the other half of the seats. The Foundry Co. will also assume around US$1.2 billion of AMD's debt.

Over the next five years, ATIC will invest between US$3.6 billion and US$6 billion to fund redevelopment of one of the Dresden fabs and build a new one in New York.

At the same time, Mubadala Development Co. will pay US$314 million to increase its stake in AMD to 19.3 percent. It bought an 8.1 percent stake in the company for US$622 million last November.

"It's a plan that, with strong partners, will help us transform AMD and transform the semiconductor industry," AMD President CEO Dirk Meyer said in a conference call.

The Foundry Co. will be led by Doug Grose, currently AMD's senior vice president of manufacturing operations, who will resign that post to become CEO of the new company. Hector Ruiz will resign as chairman of AMD to become chairman of the chip business. Ruiz recently quit as CEO of AMD, handing over the reins to Meyer who took over as president and CEO in July.

The companies expect to close the deal at the beginning of next year, if they get approval from AMD shareholders and regulators including the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States.

One potential obstacle is related to construction of the new fab in New York. The state government has not yet agreed to transfer to The Foundry Co. payments previously voted to AMD, but "we're confident that the state will transfer the investment," said Ruiz.

AMD has been talking for some months about adopting an "asset light" or "asset smart" strategy in which it would divest some its debt-heavy manufacturing assets to focus on chip design.

Join the newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.
Rocket to Success - Your 10 Tips for Smarter ERP System Selection

Tags AMD

Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Peter Sayer

IDG News Service
Show Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles

Resources

PCW Evaluation Team

Ben Ramsden

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.

Sarah Ieroianni

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.

Ratchada Dunn

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.

George Khoury

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic

David Coyle

Brother PocketJet PJ-773 A4 Portable Thermal Printer

I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.

Kurt Hegetschweiler

Brother PocketJet PJ-773 A4 Portable Thermal Printer

It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.

Featured Content

Product Launch Showcase

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?