Ricoh releases CX2 with longer 10.7x wide-angle zoom lens
- 21 August, 2009 10:12
<p>Building on its reputation for high quality, high-speed digital compact cameras, Ricoh has launched the CX2. Featuring a new high magnification 10.7x optical wide-angle zoom lens, new scene modes and a range of enhanced features, the CX2 provides point and shoot photographers with the effortless ability to produce images with the creative flair of a pro.</p>
<p>The CX2’s 10.7x (28-300mm equivalent) optical wide-angle zoom lens offers the longest range of any Ricoh camera to date. Using Ricoh’s original double retracting lens system, it fits neatly inside the camera’s slim 29.4mm body and is suitable for powerful telephoto shots as well as wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and close-up scenes. When combined with new user-friendly auto focus (AF) functions which automatically respond to subject movement and new scene modes including ‘high contrast black & white’ and ‘miniaturise’, the photo possibilities are endless.</p>
<p>The CX2 inherits the acclaimed high-speed CMOS sensor of its predecessor, the CX1 introduced in March 2009. Making the trend to increase pixel count redundant, the 9 megapixel CMOS sensor delivers better image quality and faster operational speeds than previously possible with a traditional CCD sensor. While super-fast continuous shooting speeds of 5 frames per second are a key benefit, it also enables the CX2 to offer technologically advanced functions such as dynamic range double shot and multi-pattern auto white balance. Working in conjunction with the Smooth Image Engine IV, these features ensure images captured in challenging light conditions are accurately exposed.</p>
<p>Available from leading electronics retailers and camera specialists from mid-September, the Ricoh CX2 features an inlay handgrip and is available in black, silver and two-tone pink/grey. RRP AU$599</p>
<p>CX2 Main Features</p>
<p>1. With a 10.7x optical zoom lens (28-300 mm) in a compact body only 29.4 mm thick, the CX2 shoots freely all the way from wide-angle to telephoto.
- Ricoh's original retracting lens system made it possible to fit the newly developed high magnification 10.7x optical wide-angle zoom lens in a 29.4 mm body that is both easy to carry and easy to operate.
- With 28 mm wide-angle to 300 mm telephoto coverage, this high magnification zoom lens can handle a wide range of shooting situations, including powerful telephoto shots as well as wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and interior scenes with limited distance between camera and subject.
- The zoom function can be switched to high-speed zoom by continuing to turn the zoom lever.</p>
<p>2. More advanced high-speed continuous shooting functions enable you to get the shot you want.
- With the enhanced continuous shooting mode, it is possible to do high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5 frames/second for still images with the maximum number of pixels.
• Continuous shooting speed will vary depending on shooting conditions, card type, card condition, etc.
- For the M-continuous plus shooting function, which saves consecutive images shot before the finger is removed from the shutter release button, a mode has been added that makes it possible to shoot at the maximum number of pixels. To fit the scene being photographed, you can select from two modes: M-Continuous Plus (9M) for 15 images (5 frames/sec.) taken in as little as three seconds and M-Continuous Plus (2M) for 30 images (30 frames/sec.) taken in about one second.
• M-Continuous Plus (9M) image size is fixed at N3456 (9M).
• M-Continuous Plus (2M) image size is fixed at N1728 (2M).
• The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).
- With ultra-high-speed continuous shooting, the CX2 shoots 120 images (120 frames/sec.) during an interval of about one second after the shutter release button is pushed, or 120 images (60 frames/sec.) during an interval of about two seconds.
• Image size is fixed at N640 (VGA).
• The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).</p>
<p>3. High image quality from Smooth Imaging Engine IV and a high-resolution CMOS sensor.
- The CX2 has the image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV and a high-speed image processing CMOS sensor. Together they can shoot high-quality images with high resolution and low noise.
- Residing on a customised circuit of the image processing engine, the pixel output interpolation algorithm reduces whiteout in high-contrast situations, thereby recreating beauty as seen.
- Dynamic range double shot mode makes it possible to record images with an almost naked-eye impression; it has a new AUTO option where the camera automatically defines the optimal exposure difference. Now it is even easier to enjoy the benefits of dynamic range expansion of up to 12EV.
- Multi-pattern auto white balance makes it possible to recreate natural as-seen colours even in people-photography scenes that were difficult to shoot with past auto white balance functions, such as scenes with both shadow and sunlight and scenes mixing flash and natural light (or fluorescent light, etc.).</p>
<p>4. New modes to stimulate creative photography.
- As the name implies, "high-contrast B&W mode" shoots images with higher contrast than normal black & white mode. This makes it possible to record images with a grainy feel such as that created by using ultra-high-sensitivity film in a film camera or by push processing film at the development stage.
- The new "miniaturise mode" shoots scenes with the top and bottom areas of the image blurred. This makes it possible to shoot actual scenes but record images that recreate the impression given when photographing miniatures.
- The new "discreet mode" enables you to turn off the flash, the AF auxiliary light, and operation sounds without changing the camera settings. This is convenient when shooting in museums and other public buildings.</p>
<p>5. Easy shooting mode which can be enjoyed by a simple operation now has a function for automatic face recognition.
- When faces are detected during shooting, the CX2 shoots the image with the focus, exposure, and white balance optimised for the faces. Compared to the previous model, there have been increases in recognition speed and number of faces detectable.
• A maximum of eight subject faces can now be detected.
- When shooting subjects up close, the camera automatically switches to macro mode so macro photography can now be enjoyed without the inconvenience of having to switch modes.</p>
<p>6. Pre-AF and Continuous AF functions quickly and accurately focus on the subject
- With Pre-AF, the camera automatically adjusts the focus even when the shutter release button is not half-pressed. Quick shooting is possible since the focus is adjusted in response to subject movement.
- With Continuous AF, if subject movement is detected while the shutter release button is half-pressed, the camera automatically adjusts the focus to match the subject movement.</p>
<p>7. High-definition 3.0-inch 920,000-dot VGA LCD monitor
- The large, high-resolution LCD monitor has a wide viewing angle and high contrast. The screen has a fluorine coat to prevent soiling, a hard coat to prevent scratches, and an anti-reflection coat to give excellent visibility even outdoors in bright sunshine.
- With sRGB comparison of 100% for colour reproduction range, the monitor vividly reproduces image colours.</p>
<p>8. A wide range of functions inspired by the "A tool you will want to use every day" concept
- With the macro photography functions you can get as close to the subject as 1cm for wide-angle and 28cm for telephoto.
• Equivalent to 31 mm focal length for 35 mm cameras
- A comfortable and easy-to-hold grip shape.
- Electronic level utilising an acceleration sensor.
- Image sensor shift blur reduction function to reduce hand-motion blurring.
- Three grid guides useful for framing images while shooting.
- Image flag function to enable the quick display of specific images from among those in the camera. The maximum number of flags has been increased from 3 to 20.</p>
<p>Rechargeable battery DB-70
Battery charger BJ-7
Soft case (black) SC-90BK
Soft case (brown) SC-90BN
Neck strap ST-2
Cable switch CA-1
AC adapter AC-4g</p>
<p>Ricoh photographic products are sold through more than 1500 outlets nationally, including leading camera specialists and electronics retailers. For customer enquiries contact Ricoh’s Australian distributor, Tasco on 02 9938 3244 or visit www.tasco.com.au</p>
<p>MEDIA NOTE - for further information, high res images or review samples please contact:
Corrina Frankham or Megan McKay
Write Away Communication + Events
Phone: (02) 9978 1400
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com</p>
- Intel's Alexis Bjorlin Explains Why Silicon Photonics Matter
- Telstra Sets New Smartphone Speed Record on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
- Kingdom Come - Deliverance review: Crusaders and Caveats
- Windows Server 19 embraces hybrid cloud, hyperconverged data centers, Linux
- AMD confirms Ryzenfall vulnerabilities, but says they'll be fixed soon via routine BIOS updates