'Melted' Samsung S III phone had been put in microwave

Independent report exonerates maker

A Samsung S III smartphone said to have overheated after a malfunction probably sustained the damage after being deliberately put inside a microwave oven, an independent investigation has concluded.

Several weeks ago a Samsung forum poster in the Irish Republic gained attention to an apparently serious fault, said to have occurred while the smartphone was sitting in an in-car dock.

An image showed the affected handset with melting damage on one end that could have been caused by an overheating battery or circuity.

"I'm really annoyed. That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. It's very dangerous," the user reportedly wrote.

Conscious that the S III is the company's appointed iPhone killer, Samsung immediately had the handset looked at by third party organisation Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), the official draft of which has now reported that the damage had to have been caused by an external course, most likely a microwave.

"The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave," the report said.

The owner of the phone has since retracted the claim of the in-car fire, posting that the phone had in fact been damaged after a misguided attempt to "recover the phone from water."

By releasing the report, Samsung will feel vindicated.

"The owner should be questioned as to why the moisture detection patch had been removed from this device and any other curcumstances surround [sic] the damage caused to the owner's device.," the FIUK report concluded.

Overheating smartphones and tablets are part and parcel of the publicity obstacle course makers have to contend with, overheating being a common theme.

In March, Apple had to field some concern over allegedly overheating iPads on its user forum. Sometimes the fears are well-founded. In January, HP agreed to pay $425,000 (£274,000) to settle claims over overheating laptop batteries from 2007.

Join the newsletter!

Or
Error: Please check your email address.
Rocket to Success - Your 10 Tips for Smarter ERP System Selection
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

John E Dunn

Techworld
Show Comments

Essentials

Mobile

Victorinox Werks Professional Executive 17 Laptop Case

Learn more >

Exec

Budget

Back To Business Guide

Click for more ›

Brand Post

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles

Resources

PCW Evaluation Team

Andrew Teoh

Brother MFC-L9570CDW Multifunction Printer

Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category

Louise Coady

Brother MFC-L9570CDW Multifunction Printer

The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use

Edwina Hargreaves

WD My Cloud Home

I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.

Walid Mikhael

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.

Ben Ramsden

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.

Sarah Ieroianni

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.

Featured Content

Product Launch Showcase

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?