The storage market is a highly competitive and, at times, complicated space for the enterprise with plenty of choice and a vast array of products. That can make finding the right solution difficult. Fundamentally, for many small and medium businesses, the choice comes down to either Storage Area Network (SAN) or Network Attached Storage devices and solutions.
The bottom line is, of course, affordability without missing out on scalability, reliability and high-performance – the power to deliver and store data securely.
And that’s where Synology’s new RackStation RS2414RP+ solution fits right in. This 12-bay rackmount server is a full-featured, cost effective, NAS solution for SMBs that is armed with an impressive operating system (OS) and plenty of built-in safety and data protection.
The key is not only the savings associated with a NAS solution but also Synology’s DSM (DiskStation Manager) 4.3 Web-based OS aimed at increasing productivity. Its predecessor, DSM 4.2, won dual awards at Computex 2013.
DSM 4.3 offers full support for Active Directory and LDAP, a suite of added-value applications that help facilitate business daily life, flexible administrative options, and tools to secure DiskStation and valuable data.
The OS integrates with existing infrastructure, offers different ways to access data, and has a comprehensive data protection scheme. This ensures high-level efficiency and productivity. And what business doesn’t want that!
The DSM 4.3 has five key business features:
- 1. Windows ODX support to maximise virtualisation efficiency. This technology removes the middle man and allows Windows servers to offload data transfer to DiskStation without the need to have data go through the server host.
- 2. SSD Trim technology to increase I/O performance and extend SSD lifetime.
- 3. Synology High Availability (SHA) to maximise system uptime by setting up cluster failover.
- 4. Easy data management with support for user credentials and a variety of backup solutions.
- 5. Cloud Station and File Station which increase the efficiency of data sync and sharing.
So RS2414RP+ ticks the box on OS functionality. Now let’s have a look of some of the technical highlights. Firstly, it’s quick. With Link Aggregation enabled, the server delivers an average 339.63 MB/sec reading speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows environment, and 209.14 MB/sec writing. That’s high-performance in anybody’s language.
The RS2414RP+ has four LAN ports which provide redundancy in the event of unexpected hardware failure. Hot swappable drives also help to minimise system downtime during drive replacement. And it doesn’t get hot: The unit is equipped with passive CPU cooling technology. The last thing any business wants, of course, is for its servers to go down – the outcome can be disastrous. Unfortunately, according to Synology many businesses are still unprepared for disaster.
To help counter this the RS2414RP+ carries Synology High Availability (SHA) which ensures seamless transition between clustered servers in the event of server failure and minimal impact to applications.
In addition, the RS2414RP+ comes with redundant power supplies to help ensure system reliability. Basically, each power supply is capable of powering the entire computer and only one runs at a time. If one fails, the other starts running to keep the computer powered up. The switch between the power supplies is seamless, so it doesn’t interrupt normal computer use. All up, this minimises the chance of complete computer shutdown or failure.
SCALABITY AND VIRTUALISATION
And, importantly, the RS2414RP+ is scalable - right up to 96TB with the company’s RX1214RP. Finally, thanks to the Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) support in DSM 4.3, the unit provides storage solutions for virtualisation environments, including those of VMware, Citrix, and Microsoft.
iSCSI storage allows users to leverage existing network equipment and connect servers and workstations to DiskStation in a virtual environment. This means reduced management complexity by having a centralised storage pool and also boosts server performance and efficiency because tasks relating to storing data are offloaded.
Synology’s RS2414RP+ is a great addition to the company’s core play in the SMB space and well worth investigating.
- Dual core 2.13 GHz CPU with floating-Point unit
- 2GB RAM, expandable up to 4GB
- Scalable to 24 Drives / 96TB with Synology RX1214RP
- 4 LANs with failover and Link Aggregation support
- Over 339 MB/s reading, 209 MB/s writing (its predecessor, the RS2212+, offered: 200MB/s reading, 194MB/s writing)
- USB 3.0 Support
- Easy fan system replacement
- The latest virtualisation support allowing it to be a reliable storage for VMware vSphere, Microsoft
- Hyper-V and Citrix XenServer virtual servers
RRP: $3299 (GST included)
For further information contact: Bluechip 1300 72 74 74
Multimedia Technology 03 9837 2500
Silicon Memory technologies 02 9417 7822