So-called Plug and Play hardware has not always been quite as simple as advertised. Often, when you first plug in a USB device under Windows 98, you have to check the folders in the installation CD-ROM until you find the right driver. Windows 2000 is smarter about finding drivers: it'll sweep through all the folders in any drive you point it to during an installation. In the Found New Hardware Wizard, select the source for drivers (say, your A: floppy drive or CD-ROM drive), and wait for Windows 2000 to find the right driver. If you don't have an installation disk, you still may not be out of luck. Windows 2000 has built-in drivers for much hardware that Windows 98 did not - such as Imation SuperDisk drives. If Windows 2000 doesn't include the driver that you need, and the manufacturer does not provide it, you may still be able to substitute a downloaded Windows 98 driver for some devices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- Dell XPS 15 (2017) review: Kaby Lake and a 4K display make a difference
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Lenovo's new workstation is indeed 'Tiny' but packs a punch
- Hands-on: Middle Earth: Shadow of War gets more creative with Tolkien's universe
- The Full Nerd episode 25: Core i9 review, build an Xbox One X PC, and Creative's 32-bit sound card
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTService Desk Analyst - Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTIT Support Specialist - Level 2Other
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistNSW
- FTSEO Specialist/ SEO ConsultantNSW
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- FTMarketing Content Writer - Tenders & SocialNSW
- FTProject SchedulerOther
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther
- FTJava DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - PermanentWA
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - End User ComputingOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer/ DesignerOther
- TPSolution Architect | Azure | CRMQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- CCIT Vendor / Partner ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTLead Enterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTResource AnalystOther
- FTCRM DeveloperWA
- FTWintel Engineer - Level 1 and 2 ServerOther
- CCDigital Content SpecialistNSW
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsOther