If you’ve not seen it, the new Pokemon Go mobile game lets you walk around town interacting with local landmarks via your phone’s screen. You’ll likely find plaques, artworks and other local facts about where you live and work that you never knew existed. And then, every once in a while, a wild Pokemon will appear on the ground next to you (it’s invisible but you can see it on your phone’s screen) and you’ve gotta catch it by flicking Pokeballs at it.
There are some exotic Pokemon and many boring ones. Perhaps I was hoping for too much when I stood beneath Sydney’s iconic Harbour Bridge, looking out across the water to the enormously-famous Sydney Opera House only to be notified that the wild Pokemon that had appeared was this...
Come on guys. I walked down a steep hill after a spin class to get that. I’m not looking for pity but Sydney deserves better.
Meanwhile, a walk around the North Sydney shore – as with many places – is really quite eye-opening. This game really is a great entry into orienteering and discovering information that you simply didn’t know about.
The game is pretty rough in terms of accuracy though. Here it said I was in the middle of the Harbour while I was actually standing here...
Still, Pokemon Go is a great glimpse into the future of location-based, augmented reality gaming and applications. It shouldn’t be long before people are shooting lasers at real-life opposing team members; at which point, one suspects, the Pay Attention to your Surroundings warnings probably will come into their own.
I confess, after a bit more pacing (away from the Harbour Bridge) this happened. I almost got run over catching it but at least it’s better than that bat thing.
- The Assembly hands-on: The future of VR is adventure games
- Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- This is what an $850 laptop bag looks like: Slaint Arroe Briefcase 15 review
- Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- Review: Wireless charging and waterproof cases for iPhone plus Ollclip (Movie) Studio case
- Twitter fails to impress with Wimbledon live stream
- Logitech G610 Orion Blue keyboard review
- A Phone Power Pack for Pokemon Players
- Muggers used Pokemon Go to lure victims, police say
- Gotta catch 'em all: 5 facts that prove Pokémon Go is eating the world
- Pokémon Go: Into the real world, with real crime
- Pokemon Go no-go: the latest chapter in Intel's Android drama
- Tip: Find Pokémon Go stops and gyms using the official Ingress live web map
- Pokémon Go for iOS requires full Google account access
- How to dominate Pokémon Go without spending money
- Pokémon Go update for iOS now available, clarifies access to Google data
- Pokémon Go is making people take leave of their senses
- Xounts Up hands-on preview: Two parts wireless speaker, one part objet d'art
- How to live stream Android games to YouTube and Twitch
- US Senator has privacy concerns about Pokémon Go’s data collection
- The beginner’s guide to Pokémon Go: An FAQ on how to catch 'em all
- AMD and Firaxis join forces to turn Civilization VI into a DirectX 12 showcase
- BitTorrent takes on cable with live news network on Apple TV and OS X
- How 'human-aware' AI could save us from the robopocalypse
- Google Glass takes flight at Boeing
- New York driver crashes car into tree while playing Pokémon Go
- How Pokémon Go could be the killer app the Apple Watch needs
- Nintendo's releasing a miniature NES console packed with 30 classic games
- New Pokémon Go maps show you where to catch 'em all
- This fake Pokemon Go game will secretly drive porn ad clicks
- Learning to skateboard? Check out these iPhone apps
- Watch as crowds gather to catch a rare Pokémon in Central Park
- Aussie moth ball link to Quantum Computing revolution
- 7 things you shouldn't do while playing Pokémon Go
- 11 things that Pokemon Go is changing in the real world
- 8 insider tips to help you become a Pokémon master
- Lightair Evolution Air Purifier review
- Pokémon Go and the demon-haunted world
- How businesses can use Pokemon Go to succeed
- Why Pokémon Go fans should (or shouldn't) play Ingress
- IDG Pokémon Go bible
- Nintendo's hotly anticipated Pokémon Go Plus wearable delayed until September
- The complete guide to earning and spending coins in Pokémon Go
- Social media stats behind Pokémon Go's success
- Pokémon Go: A Game-Changer for Bricks-and-Mortar Retail?