Antivirus software company Central Command today released its monthly listing of the top 12 viruses reported in March, with Worm/Klez.E retaining poll position for the fifth month running.
The fact that the same viruses are still infecting computers is bad news according to Central Command.
"The internet worms Klez.E and Yaha.E have remained number one and two respectively for five months. This is a clear indication that many users are still continuing to ignore the importance of installing and maintaining up-to-date antivirus software," said Steven Sendermeier, product manager at Central Command.
One new worm on the scene was Worm/Ganda, an Internet worm engineered to capitalise on the events in the Middle East. It comes in the form of an email containing pictures supposedly taken by one of the spy satellites during a mission over Iraq. Once the pictures are viewed the computer is infected.
The Top 12
1. Worm/Kelz.E - 21.6 percent of reported viruses
2. W32/Yaha.E - 10.8 percent
3. W32/Yaha.M - 8.9 percent
4. Worm/Avril.B - 6.4 percent
5. Worm/Sobig.A - 6.3 percent
6. Worm/Avril.A - 5.8 percent
7. Worm/BugBear - 4.6 percent
8. W32/Funlove - 2.3 percent
9. Worm/Yaha.L - 2.0 percent
10. Worm/Sircam.C - 1.7 percent
11. W32/Nmida - 1.4 percent
12. Worm Badtrans.B - 1.1 percent