Hitachi, LG Ink Optical Disc Alliance

The new company, Hitachi LG Data Storage, will be established in Tokyo on November 1 with a paid-in capital of 1.5 billion yen ($US13.9 million), said the two companies in a joint statement. Hitachi will hold 51 per cent of the company while LG holds the remaining 49 per cent.

At launch, the company will have about 350 staff drawn from both parent companies and will work on research and development of optical storage systems based on technologies such as CD-ROM and DVD (digital versatile disc) and rapidly emerging rewritable technologies such as CD-RW and DVD-RAM.

In addition to joint development, the two companies plan to jointly market the products to computer OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) under a new, yet-to-be-chosen brand name, said Setsuko Minamikawa, a spokeswoman for Hitachi. Some of the drives produced will also go to the two partners, who will continue to market them as peripheral products in the PC after-market under their own brand names.

The new joint venture draws upon the strengths of each partner: LG is a major producer of CD drives, while Hitachi, having largely finished CD-based device development and production, is now a leading manufacturer of PC DVD drives.

The market for such products is estimated to be 200 million units per year, according to research cited by each company, and they expect sales to reach 2.3 trillion won ($US2.1 billion) in 2001 and 3 trillion won in 2003.

Join the newsletter!

Or

Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Martyn Williams

PC World
Show Comments

Cool Tech

Bang and Olufsen Beosound Stage - Dolby Atmos Soundbar

Learn more >

Toys for Boys

Sony WF-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones

Learn more >

ASUS ROG, ACRONYM partner for Special Edition Zephyrus G14

Learn more >

Nakamichi Delta 100 3-Way Hi Fi Speaker System

Learn more >

Family Friendly

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit for Nintendo Switch

Learn more >

Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean 9000 Toothbrush

Learn more >

Stocking Stuffer

SunnyBunny Snowflakes 20 LED Solar Powered Fairy String

Learn more >

Teac 7 inch Swivel Screen Portable DVD Player

Learn more >

Christmas Gift Guide

Click for more ›

Brand Post

Shining a light on creativity

MSI has long pushed the boundaries of invention with its ever-evolving range of laptops but it has now pulled off a world first with the new MSI Creative 17.

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles

Resources

PCW Evaluation Team

Tom Pope

Dynabook Portégé X30L-G

Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.

Tom Sellers

MSI P65

This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.

Lolita Wang

MSI GT76

It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.

Jack Jeffries

MSI GS75

As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.

Taylor Carr

MSI PS63

The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.

Christopher Low

Brother RJ-4230B

This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.

Featured Content

Product Launch Showcase

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?