Adding memory to old laptops: Dell Inspiron 630M
James Hopkin has worked in the Australian computer industry since 1987. He founded Upgradeable.com in 1999 as an independent online source for computer memory upgrades. From day one the Upgradeable way has been to help computer users easily upgrade their systems.
The Dell Inspiron 630M has the following specifications:
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-4300, 533Mhz, 200-PIN SO-DIMM
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Configuration: 2 Memory Slots
Base Memory (Non-Removable): 0MB
Before you begin the installation, it's worth considering backing up any critical files in the event of a problem occurring. DO NOT install the memory while the computer is in standby or hibernation mode. Ensure that the system is completely powered down.
This is simply done to remove any static electricity from your body so that accidental zaps don't damage your memory modules. While your computer is still plugged into the wall, touch a metal part of your computer. If you leave your computer you will need to ground yourself again. Alternatively, you can invest in an anti-static strap and clip yourself to a grounded piece of metal.
Once the computer is completely shutdown, remove all plugs and the power cable from the computer. As you are upgrading a notebook it is also important to remove the battery.
Always keep the memory modules in their anti-static bag until you are ready to begin the installation. Handle the modules only by the edges and don't touch the gold pins. No tools are required to remove or fit memory modules and using tools can cause damage to the modules.
Memory module DIMM B: located on the base of the notebook.
1. Remove the two screws shown in the picture below, then proceed by removing the memory cover.
2. To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
3. To install the new memory upgrade, hold the upgrade on a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the upgrade with the notch located in the memory slot.
4. Gently push the upgrade in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the upgrade in place.
5. Make sure the upgrade is firmly in the slot and is not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the upgrade by repeating steps 2 to 4.
6. Close the memory slot compartment. If you need to access the second memory slot underneath the keyboard please see below, if not you can now replace the battery and any removed accessories. You can now restart your system with the new memory upgrade installed.
Memory Module DIMM A: located underneath the keyboard.
Step 1: removing the hinge cover
Note: The hinge cover is fragile and can be damaged if extreme force is used. Exercise care when removing the hinge cover.
1. Remove the two screws inside the battery bay.
2. Turn the computer over, and then open the display all the way (180 degrees) so that it rests flat on your work surface.
3. Insert a plastic scribe into the indent along the right edge of the hinge cover to pry the hinge cover loose.
4. Moving from right to left, ease the hinge cover up and remove it from the computer.
Step 2: removing the keyboard
Note: The key caps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Exercise care when removing and handling the keyboard.
1. Insert a plastic scribe or small flat-blade screwdriver near the keyboard retention tab on the left or right side of the palmrest to pry one side of the keyboard loose, then pry the remaining side of the keyboard loose, as necessary.
2. Lift the keyboard and hold it up and slightly forward to allow access to the keyboard connector.
3. Release the latch on the system board connector to disconnect the keyboard cable.
4. The memory slot is concealed beneath a metal memory cover. Loosen the two captive screws securing the memory module cover, then remove the cover and set it aside.
Step 3: installing your memory upgrade
1. To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
2. To install the new memory upgrade, hold the upgrade on a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the upgrade with the notch located in the memory slot.
3. Gently push the upgrade in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the upgrade in place.
4. Make sure the upgrade is firmly in the slot and is not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the upgrade by repeating steps 2 to 4.
Step 4: replace the keyboard
Note: Before securing the latch on the system board connector, ensure that the keyboard connector is seated and the tabs on the connector are properly aligned with the slots on the system board connector. Failure to align the tabs could result in a malfunction of the computer or damage to the cable and/or the cable connector.
1. Align the tabs on the keyboard connector of the new keybord with the corresponding slots on the system board connector, then press the latch on the system board connector down to lock the keyboard cable into place.
2. Slide the six tabs along the front edge of the keyboard beneath the palm rest.
Note: You may need to push the bottom of the keyboard down slightly to slide the keyboard tabs into place.
3. Gently press down on the left and right sides of the keyboard near the keyboard retention tabs until the keyboard snaps into place.
Step 5: replace the hinge cover
1. Align the tabs along the left edge of the new hinge cover with the corresponding notches in the computer.
2. Moving from left to right, press down until the hinge cover snaps into place.
3. Replace the two screws inside the battery bay to secure the hinge cover.
4. Replace the battery and any removed accessories. You can now restart your system with the new memory upgrade installed.
You're done! Once you have closed your computer and reattached all the accessories that were connected, it's time to switch it on. No software or settings will need to be changed as the computer detects the memory upgrade automatically.
Find more memory upgrades at: www.upgradeable.com.au
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Join the newsletter!
- Black Friday laptop buyer's guide
- D-Link Launches Their Fastest-Ever NBN AC5300 MU-MIMO Modem Router
- The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Will Now Resist the Elements
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- Black Friday Amazon deals: Price drops for Echos, Kindles and Fire tablets
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSAP EMAOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- FTMid-Level Software EngineerOther
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTOffice Manager | Start-up | Global Cloud ProviderVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst, Business Efficiencies ProgramOther
- FTSenior Field Services Telecommunication RiggerACT
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- FTTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTProject Manager/Business AnalystQLD
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- FTSolution Architect - SalesforceOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther
- FTChange Analyst, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTSenior Pega DeveloperOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test AnalystQLD
- FTSAP FI Functional SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java LeadVIC