3 Mobile Broadband Internet Key E1756
A simple and reasonably effective mobile broadband modem that suffers from erratic network performance
- Plug and play, easy to set up and use, microSD card slot, decent speeds, can roam on Telstra's Next G network
- Wide design can block other ports, speeds varied inexplicably
3's Mobile Broadband Internet Key E1756 certainly offers impressive value, but performance is a mixed bag.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
3 Mobile's latest Broadband Internet Key is the E1756, a straightforward device that’s easy to set up and use. Plug-and-play installation, a microSD card memory slot and access to Telstra's Next G network when roaming are some of the notable features of this mobile broadband modem.
Like all USB modems, the 3 Mobile Broadband Internet Key E1756 is a very straightforward device. It's relatively thin, but it's wide enough to sometimes block access to other USB ports — we couldn't access the second USB port on our MacBook Pro with the E1756 plugged in, and it also hindered access to the eSATA/USB port on a Toshiba Satellite M500. A microSD slot is hidden nicely underneath the SIM card slot and is accessible via a slide-off plastic panel, while a status LED indicates whether the modem has a 2G, 3G or HSDPA connection.
The software required to use the mobile broadband service is installed on the USB device itself, so the E1756 is plug and play. It's easy to use and is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X. The My3 menu is a convenient way to manage your monthly usage, view invoices or change account details. You can quickly view information on the current session in the Statistics menu, including duration of connection, the volume of data sent and received, and the current signal strength.
The 3 Mobile Broadband Internet Key E1756 delivers a theoretical maximum download speed of 7.2 megabits per second and upload speed of up to 2Mbps. The actual speed achieved will vary depending on a number of factors such as device capabilities, your location and equipment, as well as network usage at the time. Typical speeds should range from 600 kilobits per second (Kbps) to 1.5Mbps. Keep in mind that the E1756 is one of 3's "Mega 3G" modems, meaning it will roam onto Telstra's Next G network when out of a 3 coverage zone. This is charged at a rate of 50 cents per megabyte.
During testing, the 3 Mobile Broadband Internet Key E1756 performed reasonably well in our North Sydney offices, receiving a standard HSDPA signal. While downloading files in a standard HSDPA coverage area we were able to achieve speeds of up to 190 kilobytes per second, although speed frequently fluctuated between 100KBps and 170KBps. Using PC World's own SpeedTest, the E1756 recorded an average download speed of 1.3Mbps. In our real world test, we managed to download a 93MB iTunes file in 10min 47sec, at an average transfer rate of around 134KBps. We did note that speeds often varied inexplicably — even when the software displayed a full HSDPA signal the download speed would sometimes drop below 80KBps.
3's mobile broadband plans for the Broadband Internet Jet E1756 start at $15 per month for 1GB of data and range up to $29 (3GB), $39 (6GB) and $49 (7GB) plans over 24 months. All plans charge an additional 10 cents per megabyte for any usage beyond your monthly quota. The E1756 is also available on prepaid — $149 with an included 12GB of data, or $79 without any data included.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Polycom Renew Their Most Iconic Teleconferencing Solution
- Western Digital Announces Acquisition of Upthere
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDigital Program Manager - Web & eCommerceOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideACT
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst – Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTSplunk DeveloperVIC
- FTWebMethods DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTAPI Developer / Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- FTOperational Systems Support SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - BillPayOther
- CCLinux / Devops EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- CCTRIM Support OfficerVIC
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- CCHelpdesk Support roleNSW