ABBYY PDF Transformer 1.0
Hard on the heels on ScanSoft PDF Convertor 2.0 comes a rival. PDF Transformer's brief is identical: to take a PDF document, extract its contents and save them in an editable form, preserving the layout and formatting of the original as closely as possible.
PDF Transformer has a few advantages over ScanSoft's offering. It can, for example, save in Excel, HTML and ASCII text as well as Word. Installation is simple enough, but Abbyy programs now feature product activation. The software itself is wizard-based. Simply browse to the PDF you want to convert and PDF Transformer then whirrs away, converting the file into one of the four file formats. It also installs itself as a plug-in for Word, Excel, Outlook and Windows Explorer, so you can perform conversions from inside your main applications.
As with PDF Convertor, Transformer appears to work quite slowly - a 59-page PDF conversion took over 15 minutes on a 1GHz PC, but that's OCR (optical character recognition) for you.
Conversion fidelity is also on a par with its rival - good, but not perfect. But bread-and-butter stuff, such as multicolumn layouts and close font matching, was carried out with aplomb. PDF Transformer carries the same price tag as its rival and offers a similar feature set, with the advantage of a wider range of output formats.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Find X3 Pro review: An all around performer with a touch of class
- 2 MSI GS66 Stealth (2021) review: A gaming powerhouse with 300Hz display
- 3 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 4 Realme 7 Pro review: Further progress
- 5 Oppo Watch review: A masterclass in imitation
Latest News Articles
- Adobe expands Creative Cloud M1 support, claims over 80% better performance than Intel
- Starlink Internet to be deployed in outback Aussie school
- How to set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and iCloud account
- How to customize the Safari start page in macOS Big Sur 11.3
- Run Windows 10 on your M1 Mac with Parallels Desktop 16.5
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- The best Amazon Prime Day laptop deals for Australia
- Best Amazon Prime Day deals for Australia in 2021
- Best Australian EOFY 2021 Laptop Deals
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?