ABC Networks iPhone app
ABC brings its TV and radio line-up to the iPhone.
- Podcast streaming, nice interface, easy to navigate, loads quickly
- Podcasts must be streamed over Wi-Fi, podcasts can't be stored
ABC's iPhone app provides a tailored way to watch, read and listen to news and entertainment on the handset. You can't stream podcasts over 3G, however.
The launch of the ABC's new mobile Web site has been accompanied by the release of applications for the iPhone and Google's Android platform. The iPhone app is a great way to read news and download ABC podcasts, though it has some annoying limitations.
ABC's mobile site has a simple layout that provides you with the news as well as radio and TV schedules. For the most part, the iPhone app fulfils the same functions but offers a more "iPhone-esque" interface, complete with a navigation toolbar at the bottom and an arguably more attractive layout than the mobile Web site.
The navigation bar has links to News, TV and Radio, as well as categories like Sport, Triple J and Movie Reviews. The ABC Shop is also available, but this is little more than a list of the latest products and a national telephone number.
Navigation is fast and easy thanks to the layout, and we had no difficulties when connecting over 3G. News articles are tailored to the iPhone's resolution, making them easy to read. There is an option to send an article link via e-mail to a friend. Radio and TV schedules are categorised into morning, afternoon and evening timeslots.
The ABC Mobile Web site is limited to text and images, but the ABC iPhone app allows you to stream many of the numerous podcasts the ABC makes available, including At the Movies, Media Watch and a host of Triple J radio and Triple J TV audio and video podcasts. The only podcast we couldn't find (and were eager for) was the Gruen Transfer, but considering the TV series has only just resumed broadcasting, this may come later.
Podcasts can't be stored on the iPhone, which is a disappointing but understandable restriction. The one aspect of the app that is frustrating, however, is the inability to stream or download podcasts over cellular data. This is a common restriction placed on large downloads by Apple and other developers, but these restrictions are often lifted for smaller files under 10MB. The ABC podcasts are optimised for the iPhone and many are below 10MB — but even these podcasts are unavailable unless you are using Wi-Fi.
If you need your government-funded news and entertainment while on the go, the ABC iPhone app is definitely the best way of doing this. The ability to read news, see schedules and stream podcasts is great. Searching for "ABC" in the iPhone App Store returns dozens of hits, so finding this app is best done by searching for its full name, "Australian Broadcasting Corporation".
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCMid - Level SAP Test AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager x 2 (Infrastructure)NSW
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- CCSenior Salesforce Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTMarketing Manager - IT ServicesOther
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- CCTechnical Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Contract - $650 per dayOther
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- FTNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CC.net developerNSW
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- FTSenior NodeJS DeveloperQLD
- TPSupport Java RoleNSW
- TPPrincipal Project Manager|HRIS ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSenior Pega DeveloperOther
- FTProject Manager- develop strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrndOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- FTIT Security Support OfficersOther