Ability Software Ability Office Business 5.0
Lightweight office suite
- Light footprint, photo and vector image editing, familiar interface, good export options
- Presentations doesn't have all the features of PowerPoint, not much documentation in the box
Ability Office Business version 5.0 falls between unpolished free gems such as OpenOffice and Google Docs, and the ultra-expensive, feature intensive Microsoft Office 2007. But unlike free rivals, Ability is feature-rich and familiar to MS Office users. It will make a welcome, inexpensive and useful addition to almost every office workstation.
Ability Office Business is not so much an alternative to Microsoft Office as an homage. An inexpensive option which closely resembles the original. Ability Office has now matured to version 5.0, and the new editions are compatible with Vista, but at only 100MB leave a relatively light footprint.
This is impressive, because Ability Office is stuffed full of features, comprising Word-clone Write, the self-explanatory Spreadsheet and Database apps, as well as the PowerPoint-like 'Presentation' and a media-management tool called Photoalbum.
Ability Office Business also bundles a vector-artwork program — Draw — and an image-editing app that enjoys layer support and more than 90 image-enhancing filters. Photopaint is no Photoshop, but it makes simple photo fixes such as eliminating red-eye a cinch and will suffice for all but the most demanding of users. And this you don't get with other productivity suites.
Open Write and you enter a word-processing world that's eerily familiar. Compatible with Word, Write looks similar to its Microsoft big brother. Frames and tables are handled with aplomb, and there's all the functionality you would expect: auto correct, spelling and grammar checking, and so on. Crucially, you can export to PDF and even Microsoft's XML paper specification (XPS).
Write saves documents in Ability's native AWW format, as well as a plethora of options including Microsoft Word (97/2000/XP), text files, rich text format and HTML.
The Ability Write interface presents formatting and output options in much the same, simple way as pre-ribbon MS Office, so experienced Microsoft users will have no problem finding their way about. This is a theme that's repeated throughout Ability Office Business, which takes care of ease-of-use at a stroke.
Ability Spreadsheet, for example, will look familiar to Excel users. Integration with Microsoft's program is seamless, and again you can output to PDF and XML. There are more than 250 functions, and 25 different built-in chart types. Indeed, you'd have to be a pretty hardcore spreadsheet junkie to miss MS Excel at all.
If PowerPoint is your main work tool, you may wish to stick with MS Office, however. That's not to say that Presentations is anything but an adequate presentation-creation tool, but Microsoft's powerhouse PowerPoint offers the hardcore presenter more in the way of creativity options.
Ability Office Business comes with free, unlimited support, but via e-mail only. And you don't get a huge amount of documentation in the box. The licence allows for installation and commercial use on two PCs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- CCEnd to End Project ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTWeb Developer - 2 PositionsQLD
- CCSSIS / SSRS DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- TPLevel 2/3 Technical Service AnalystOther
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- TPSecurity AdvisorACT
- FTDealing Room Support Analyst - IPC voiceNSW
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTlevel 2/3 SupportVIC
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD