Abit Computer A8N
- Easy to install, stable
- Difficult to access floppy controller.
All things considered, we really liked this board's ease of installation, stability and performance and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wants a well-performing Athlon system, but doesn't need the plethora of features that ASUS and MSI offer.
Price$ 198.00 (AUD)
This Nvidia nForce4 board was easy to install and very stable during our tests. Indeed, we had no trouble at all installing Windows XP on our RAID 0 array using the supplied floppy diskette, and the board ran our dual-core processor without any fuss.
As it's not based on the nForce4 SLI chipset, it has a single PCIe slot, which is located just below the fan-cooled nForce chipset. Immediately to the right of this slot are the SATA ports, and immediately below the SATA ports are the pin-headers for the additional USB 2.0 ports. This area may get crammed if you use a large graphics card. Another layout quirk is the placement of the floppy controller on the bottom edge of the motherboard just under a PCI slot. This makes it difficult to access, especially once the board is attached to the chassis.
ABIT's use of its OTES (outside thermal exhaust system) cooling system is in full effect on this board, with fans located in the rear port cluster in place of audio ports and serial and parallel ports. The rear cluster does retain a FireWire port as well as PS/2, Ethernet and USB 2.0 ports, but the audio ports need to be connected to a special slot through the supplied audio expansion bracket. Because the OTES cooling system sits on the top corner of the board, you would have to remove its shrouding in order to access the screw-hole when mounting it to your chassis.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- G.SKILL Releases New AMD Compatible Trident Z RGB kits
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCUI DeveloperVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PaymentsOther
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorNSW
- CCLead Service DesignerACT
- FTSenior Server EngineerOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTIteration Manager / Scrum Master - DigitalOther
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- TPAgile Coach & Jira + Confluence AdministrationNSW
- CCService DesignerACT
- FTChange AnalystOther
- TPSenior ServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- CCJunior / Mid level Hogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSOA/OSB Integration ConsultantOther
- CCSenior ETL Developer/DesignerVIC
- FTRecruitment Contract SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Systems Analyst - Network/InfrastructureOther