Acer Aspire 9504WSMi
- Great all round processing
- Lacking a little graphics power
We couldn't find a weak point - and believe us, we put the Acer through its paces. With a WorldBench score of 90, it'll breeze through most tasks. If you're looking for something powerful with great entertainment potential then look no further than the Acer Aspire 9504WSMi.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
We've seen a few notebooks geared towards home entertainment over the past few months but none so fully featured as the Aspire 9504WSMi from Acer. Okay, it may not have the fastest processor or the best graphics card, but it does have a hybrid TV tuner.
This means it can pick up both digital and analog transmissions. It can't do both at the same time, as it isn't a dual tuner, but it's rare enough to find a notebook with any kind of built-in TV tuner.
As if this wasn't enough, Acer's Arcade software is included. Essentially offering you the same functionality as Windows Media Center, Arcade can be launched from within Windows or can be started up without booting Windows by pressing a button at the front of the unit. There are two remote controls - one fits neatly into the PC Card slot on the left-hand side, while the other, larger, one can be left on your bedside table for watching DVDs when you get home.
And there's a great screen for watching movies on, too - the 17in 1440x900 widescreen gives resonant colours and pinpoint detail, which you'll notice when playing games. The ATI Mobility Radeon X700 might pale in comparison with the GeForce Go 7800s, but it does a good job, delivering a score of 16607 in 3DMark SE 2001.
There's a Bluetooth-enabled VoIP phone, the keyboard is well laid out and there's even a numeric keypad on the left- hand side. For storage and backup, there's a 120GB hard drive and a dual-layer DVD writer.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo recalls ThinkPad notebooks after overheating hazard
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Dell
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security TransformationOther
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Customer Centric ContentQLD
- FTPortfolio & Governance Senior AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware Engineer (C ++, Java)Other
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSystems Engineer (UC)QLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW
- TPCloud DevOps EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCReporting Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystem Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTCommunications AnalystOther
- FTUX Design Manager (Urgent!!)Other
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTCommercial Contracts AnalystOther
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther