Acer Ferrari 4005WLMI
- Light, very well performing, bold design
- Nothing notable
Acer is really trying to do something different with this notebook. Its boldness isn't for everyone, but if you're in the market for a new power portable, check it out.
Price$ 3,999.00 (AUD)
Acer, the official supplier to the Scuderia Ferrari F1 racing team, has launched its new Ferrari 4000 notebook series bearing the famous prancing horse logo and packing in some interesting new technologies.
The racy new notebooks are available in "midnight" black or "glossy" red and include a custom designed lid/cover made of carbon fibre, the same material used in F1 car bodies. Ferrari tie-in aside, Acer says it chose the carbon fibre material because it's eight times stiffer than steel and half the weight of aluminium.
Our Ferrari 4005WLMi test model was also the first notebook we had seen to ship equipped with AMD's ML class Turion 64 Mobile processor--essentially an Athlon 64 processor modified to consume less power.
The 4005WLMi uses the same sleek folio design as Acer's TravelMate 8000 series and has an extra-bright, high-resolution (1680 x 1050 pixel), 15.4" widescreen display. However, there is one addition that we liked: a rubbery soft-touch coating around the keyboard for greater comfort.
The 4005WLMi also includes an array of other high-end components. These include a 128MB ATI Radeon X700 graphics controller, 100GB of hard disk storage, 1GB of DDR2 memory (of a maximum 2GB) and a slot-loading dual-layer DVD writer.
For networking, integrated Gigabit Ethernet and 56Kbps modem connections are included, as are options providing Bluetooth and 802.11b/g wireless networking using Acer's SignalUp reliability technology. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi switches (that glow blue) are found on the front fascia, along with built-in speakers, a five-in-one media card reader and microphone/headphone jacks.
The notebook includes both VGA and DVI connections for external monitors and has an S-Video TV-out port.
Peripherals can be connected using the four USB 2.0 or single four-pin FireWire ports in addition to the Type II PC Card bay. An ezDock port replicator is optional.
The 4005WLMi and its bundled eight-cell battery stood up well in our worst-case scenario battery tests, lasting 85 minutes. Application benchmark performance was strong (88 in PC WorldBench 5) as was the notebook's graphics grunt (16,400 in 3DMark 2001). Right on 3kg, this is a highly mobile performance model.
Acer installs a range of its custom software utilities for recovery, system settings and CD/DVD burning--the most interesting of which is Acer's GridVista tool. This offers an effortless way to line up multiple applications and windows on the widescreen using a customisable overlay grid that can be set up to create four screen areas/tiles. The Ferrari notebooks also ship with a wipe cloth, Ferrari USB/Bluetooth mouse and a one-year return-to-base warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Asus debuts the first-ever Ryzen laptop with a mobile Radeon surprise, too
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSystems Specialist - Linux / Windows / Network l Port MacquarieNSW
- CCData Architecture AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- FTSenior Software Developer (x3)Other
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCMultiple Front End Developers - BRISBANE | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js |NSW
- FTService Desk AnalystACT
- TPSenior UX SpecialistVIC
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTSplunk SpecialistACT
- FTSnr Java DeveloperVIC
- FTDevOps ConsultantOther
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst | 12 month fixed term contractQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - RetailOther
- FTJunior Java developer. Work Location - CanberraACT
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTProject / Program ManagerOther
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- CCHelpdesk Support - L2VIC
- CCAgile Project ManagerACT
- FTEnterprise Liferay DeveloperOther
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther