As more and more of everyday life becomes predicated on our connection to the digital world, the chances we will be targeted or vulnerable to cyber-attacks has also risen
Acer K10 portable projector
Gadget geeks will love Acer's tiny K10 projector
- Very portable, reasonable contrast levels, lamp replacement unlikely to be necessary
- Heavy power brick, low brightness, loss of contrast at 'high' brightness
Acer's K10 portable projector is LED-based, with low power consumption and a long lamp life. It's small and convenient, and we are looking forward to the technology behind it improving.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
The Acer K10 is an LED-based portable projector. With 100 ANSI lumens and a 1000:1 contrast ratio, it has the specifications to get by in dim lighting, but in daylight it will struggle.
The Acer K10 is a similar size to the BenQ Joybee GP1 and it projects an 858x600 SVGA image. Any recent PC will be able to output this resolution without any hassles; our Dell Inspiron Mini 9 running Windows 7 automatically selected the correct resolution when we connected it. The Acer K10 portable projector has a more professional look than the Joybee GP1. Its a slick black finish makes the K10 a good match for a notebook like the Lenovo Ideapad S10-2.
The Acer K10 is very simple, with a VGA port for hooking up computers and analog video devices and a composite video port. The only other port is for the DC power input. The power brick connecting to this projector is a little large and bulky for our liking, weighing more than the projector itself.
The Acer K10 boasts a 100 ANSI lumen brightness count. If you're in a dim room this is enough to get by, but in daylight or a regular office environment the low brightness level makes viewing images difficult. We're keen to see more powerful projectors in the future that are similar to the K10 but address what is currently a crippling flaw.
If you are in ideal conditions, the Acer K10 has reasonable image quality. With a projection distance of 0.6-2.4m it can throw a projected image size of 38cm to 152cm; a manual focus adjustment allows near-enough focus but lacks the accuracy of an electronic adjustment system. In a dark room the 1000:1 contrast ratio allows acceptable levels of detail to be seen in dark or bright areas of an image. We would be happy watching a movie on the Acer K10 if lighting conditions were spot-on.
Colour accuracy isn't fantastic, but this is true of most cheap DLP projectors. One thing to note is that image quality and contrast drop off significantly at higher brightness levels — after around half-way on the brightness slider we noticed that colours washed out and lost their vibrancy.
The Acer K10 portable projector has a lamp life of 20000 hours thanks to its LED lighting. This means you probably won't ever have to change the lamp during the projector's serviceable life — if it's being used by a traveller we'd expect it to fall apart before the lamp wears out. Fan noise is acceptable, but louder than we would have liked (a product of packing a bright lamp into a super-compact body).
Acer's K10 portable LED projector is an interesting product. It's small and in the right conditions it provides a serviceable picture. It's by no means perfect, but will appeal to early adopters, travellers and gadget geeks.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS FX503 review: An ROG Notebook By Any Other Name
- 2 HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5) review: Power over portability
- 3 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 4 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 5 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Gigabyte AERO 15: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- TPAgile Scrum MasterQLD
- FTProject Coordinator l PMONSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java/AWS/NoSQL)Other
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM)QLD
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- FTServer EngineerSA
- FTDigital BA x2Other
- FTData ModellerOther
- CCNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager, Construction UpgradesNSW
- CCNetwork Problem Management Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - Cloud - GovernmentVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystWA
- FTSenior Transition Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Multiple rolesOther
- CCPEGA SSA DevVIC
- CCTest Analyst - SitecoreNSW