Acer TravelMate 3202XMi
- Small size, good battery, flexible networking
- One-year warranty as standard
With a great design and great performance, the feature-packed 3202XMi is a good buy for mobile business people.
Price$ 3,895.00 (AUD)
It's clear that Acer has put some serious thought into its TravelMate 3200 range.
For ergonomics, this model includes a latchless lid, four-way scroll button and dedicated Page-Up, Page-Down, Home and End keys. In addition, our test unit weighed just 2.4kg, had an excellent worst-case-scenario battery life of 95 minutes and came with Acer's ePowerManagement software.
The 3292XMi has flexible networking options, including built-in 56K modem and Gigabit Ethernet connections. Activation and status buttons are located on the front fascia for Bluetooth and certified 802.11b/g wireless networking, and Acer claims its SignalUp antenna technology improves connection reliability. The 3202XMi also supports Cisco's Light Extensible Authentication Protocol (LEAP) technology that helps secure wireless communications, but is proprietary to Cisco access points.
Our test machine included a 1.6GHz Intel Pentium M processor (Dothan version) and 512MB of 333MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM (of a maximum 2GB). A 60GB 4200rpm hard disk was used and the 14.1" display was capable of a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 thanks, in part, to the speedy 64MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller. The 3202XMi includes a slim multiformat (-/+/RAM) DVD burner. The DVD burner is welcome, but it would have been better if it were a modular drive, swappable for say, a second battery. The notebook also has two USB ports and a single FireWire port, plus an integrated multicard reader.
This 3200 series has an optional docking station, and a legacy port (serial, parallel, PS/2) cable is also available for an additional charge.
Its performance was quite strong in business-application benchmark SYSMark 2001 (269) but it's the score of 10,563 in 3DMark 2001 that blew us away for a machine of this stature.
Only a one-year warranty is included as standard (with two-hour repair turnaround) but this can be upgraded to three years for a bit extra.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Lenovo ThinkPad celebrates 25 years of cutting edge technology
- Crowdfunding campaign to bring wireless charging to the Macbook
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCC++ Developer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTSenior Sales Executive ? Technology ConsultingQLD
- TPApplication Support AdministratorVIC
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerSA
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTDigital Content Manager | AEM , HTML and CSSOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions Architect - Converged InfrastructureOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorOther
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTSAP EMAOther
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- FTProgram Manager - Agile / DigitalOther
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTCapability Specialist | Business AnalystOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW