Acer TravelMate 8200
- Good storage, built-in web-cam, good sized screen, Excellent performance
- Ergonomic keyboard is hard to get used to, Mediocre battery performance
With a wide array of features and good performance the Travelmate 8200 is a high quality notebook with only a few minor problems.
Price$ 3,999.00 (AUD)
The generously equipped Acer TravelMate 8200 packs a 120GB hard drive, a unique built-in Webcam and both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Its ExpressCard/34 slot accepts the small form factor 34mm, though not the larger 54mm next-generation plug-in card. A SmartCard reader provides an extra layer of security. For convenience, the 8200's five-in-one memory card reader, audio ports, FireWire port, and wireless communications buttons are all located on the front of the notebook. The 8200 also features a DVD-D connection for attaching a digital flat-panel monitor. This port doesn't come with the extra pins needed to make it compatible with an analog monitor adapter, but that's okay because the 8200 has a standard VGA-port for such use.
Built into the top-center of the display bezel, the 1.3-megapixel Acer OrbiCam swivels 225 degrees in the screen frame to capture images in front and in back, and it comes with great software. A cool tracking feature automatically zooms and recenters faces when they move out of camera range. Stills are a snap to take. There's even an avatar feature that lets you replace your face with an animated character if you feel like appearing on camera as someone (or something) else.
The Acer's ergonomic keyboard, with its 5-degree horizontal arc, is a bit of an acquired taste. The shorter-than-standard (2.5mm) keystroke limits tactile feedback; but the keyboard's layout is good, which always helps us get used to positioning our hands farther, and the user-programmable launch buttons are a nice extra.
Graphics artists and spreadsheet jockeys will appreciate the 15.4-inch wide-aspect screen. The high WSXGA+ resolution of 1680 by 1050 pixels is good for detail work but some users may need to increase the Windows font and icon sizes from their default to avoid eyestrain during everyday use. On the plus side, Acer's bundled GridVista software makes it easy to arrange applications on the screen using a grid.
Although not billed as a gaming notebook, the 8200 handled games well, thanks to its powerful ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics card with 256MB of dedicated memory. Boosted by 2GB of main memory and a 2-GHz Core Duo T2500 CPU, the 8200 racked up a WorldBench 5 score of 100 - one of the best scores we've recorded for a notebook. Still, other 2-GHz Core Duo T2500-equpped notebooks such as Gateway's M685-E have earned scores almost as high while using only half as much memory.
Battery performance could have been better too. The 8200's 2.8-hour battery life is a bit short for a midsize 6.6-pound notebook, but you have the option of replacing the DVD burner in the modular bay with a second At 3.35kg, the 8200 is definitely quite a portable and powerful notebook.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Surface Pro is Microsoft's long-awaited Surface Pro 4 upgrade, restyled as a laptop
- Google explains why Android apps still aren't on Chromebooks
- HP's Spectre x2 may be the Surface Pro killer we've been waiting for
- Asus ROG teases the world's first AMD Ryzen laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCProject Delivery LeadQLD
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMNSW
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- TPIT Security SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- CCIDAM ArchitectVIC
- CCPega DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyQLD
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - RELOCATE TO CANBERRANSW
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTChange ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCEnd to End Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTIteration ManagerQLD
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- FTInformation Security ArchitectQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCProject Manager Information ManagementQLD