Gaming laptops are traditionally full of compromises.
Skylanders Trap Team (PlayStation 4)
Popular kids property taps into the dark side.
- Fun and accessible gameplay.
- Skystones card game returns.
- A bit too easy to level up.
- Nothing new for old characters.
From siding with villains to playing with cards, fans of Skylanders will find much to like in Trap Team.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Skylanders is a unique series that mixes video games with real-life plastic figurines. The way the two are linked is through a Portal of Power device that imports the figurine into the game world. Past games have let you play as the heroes, though Trap Team mixes it up by letting you play as the villains.
Relying on the bad guys
The video game portion of Skylanders Trap Team is an action platformer where you put your imported character through their paces. The six new characters in Trap Team are as memorable as ever, and the game does a good job of representing the included figurines, which are of high quality and detail. There is also the existing cast of over 40 villains to play with.
The aim of the game is to progress through the single player campaign and collect treasure to gain character upgrades. Team members can be called on to use their support abilities, and even the villains will lend a helping hand if requested. In single player mode you swap between characters to activate their abilities, while in co-op another person can help out.
The Skystones collectible card game that was left out of last year’s Swap Force has been reintroduced to Trap Team. The surprisingly deep card game forces you to think about attack and defence point when putting together strategies. It was one of the more memorable diversions in 2012’s Giants, so it is good to see it make a return.
Enough booty for all
Skylanders is mainly geared at a younger audience, so the game never gets too challenging and there is plenty of treasure to collect. This means the new characters can have their statistics maxed out without too much effort, to the point where there is no reason to collect any more loot. Trap Team could have been an opportunity to add new abilities to existing characters to use the treasure on, but there is no such option.
One thing that has improved with treasure hunting is how it is handled in co-op. In the past the player collected the loot individually, which led to both players competing against each other. Now the treasure is shared so players of different levels can get a fair distribution of treasure.
By expanding the cast of characters to include villains and introduce tweaks all round, Trap Team is a significant step up from Swap Force and Giants. The game also benefits from an overall boost in graphics thanks to the new generation of console hardware. The game does not add much for existing characters, but it does give you more opportunities to collect treasure than before.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- 2 Huawei P30 Pro review: A photography powerhouse that leans into and elevates its natural strengths
- 3 Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Messy decisions mar smart evolutions
- 4 Dell G7 review: Growing pains
- 5 Nokia 8.1 review: The more things change, the more they stay the same
Latest News Articles
- WoW Classic is coming much sooner than you’d think
- Lionsgate, Good Shepherd and Mike Bithell team up on John Wick Hex
- Intel don’t expect Google Stadia will affect core PC gamers
- Melbourne ORDER end Drop Bears' dynasty in Overwatch Contenders final
- IEM Sydney 2019: Keeping score with Intel’s Lee Machen
PCW Evaluation Team
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
I’d recommend a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 and the new Windows 10 to anyone who needs to get serious work done (before you kick back on your couch with your favourite Netflix show.)
It’s useful for office tasks as well as pragmatic labelling of equipment and storage – just don’t get too excited and label everything in sight!
- Huawei P30 Pro: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic Lumix S1 review
- Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?