Adobe Systems Audition 3.0
Adobe Audition 3.0 is a professional-grade digital audio-editing program.
- Top-notch audio editing
- Not cheap, compatibility issues with Vista SP1 64-bit
Adobe Audition 3.0 may not be the cheapest but it remains a top-notch audio editing program. More than just a MIDI controller and audio program, it lets you graphically and colourfully see deep inside the inner workings of music and audio samples, while helping create pro-grade audio output.
Price$ 445.00 (AUD)
Adobe Audition 3.0 is a professional-grade digital audio-editing program, with tools that will be essential to recording and mastering engineers, musicians and even forensic scientists.
Adobe Audition 3.0 has now developed to the point it can be considered a full Digital Audio Workstation with a virtual studio mixing desk interface.
For effective but affordable digital audio editing in Windows, the first choice for many years used to be Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillium Software. Then the program was sold to Adobe in 2003, who renamed it Audition 1.0. Since then, Adobe has been steadily adding more features and refining the interface, so it now closely resembles the rest of its professional production applications, such as its video suite Adobe Premiere.
New in version 3.0 of Adobe Audition are virtual instrument integration (VSTi), a new multitrack interface and new effects and loops.
One of Adobe's major additions to the audio-only Cool Edit was video synchronisation. Even before Adobe relaunched Cool Edit as Audition, there was some multitrack capability for multichannel audio. This has been expanded further in Audition, so that it can take on surround-sound film soundtrack mix duties. And even without discrete surround feeds to work on, Audition can extract phase information from a stereo recording to derive a 5.1-channel mix.
Adobe Audition 3.0: graphical views
Besides the usual linear timeline view of audio waveforms, Adobe Audition 3.0 has several graphical views based on, for example, spectral frequency or spectral pan display. And they are more than just accelerated iTunes Visualiser-like effects, as they can be exploited for precise restoration work, using cut-and-paste and healing tools, not unlike those found in Adobe's graphical apps.
Among the plug-in effects included are noise-reduction facilities, but as always these must be used judiciously to avoid mechanical or watery sound mixes.
Where Cool Edit used to stand out from competing non-linear editing audio editors was in its high-quality sample-rate conversion and bit truncation capabilities. Sample-rate conversion is achieved with fill pre- and post-filtering in order to reduce unwanted aliasing distortion.
While not exactly intuitive to use - this is a pro app which assumes knowledege and experience of the tools of the trade - the interface of Audion 3.0 is relatively easy to navigate.
Preset workspaces go a long way to helping to present the tools and palettes relevant to the job in hand, whether capturing live audio, mixing, or mastering to CD.
Also beware of compatibility issues with Vista SP1 64-bit, which requires some additional patches to install.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCJava Developers (EOI)QLD
- CCLinux Platform/Development SpecialistACT
- FTSupport Analyst - Level 1-2Other
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Project Coordinator, Operational ProjectsOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- FTService Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 2 Support Engineer | 12mth FTCOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- CCSenior Program ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- FTO365 ConsultantOther
- FTReports AnalystWA
- FTPortfolio Lead. PMONSW
- FTJunior Manual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- CCTest Analyst - BrisbaneVIC
- CCTechnical Field EngineerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTSalesforce CRM AdministratorOther
- FTSystems Engineer - Identity & AutomationQLD
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- CCBusiness Process Analyst (Green Belt)NSW