Adobe Systems Video Collection 2.5
A tightly integrated set of tools that's extremely hard to beat if you're looking for a comprehensive post-production solution.
Price$ 1,999.00 (AUD)
Video Collection 2.5 is Adobe's latest set of post-production tools for video and audio. The Standard edition includes Premiere Pro 1.5, Audition 1.5, Encore DVD 1.5, and After Effects 6.5 Standard. The Professional collection features After Effects 6.5 Professional and a copy of Photoshop CS.
Although pricey, these suites contain tools for about every post-production task you can think of, from editing, sequencing and compositing, right through to DVD authoring and soundtrack creation. However, although there's a lot that's new here, you'll still find a couple of bald spots in their feature sets.
When you run Premiere Pro 1.5 for the first time, you'll find that support for Panasonic's 24P camcorders is now in the project presets list, though High Definition Video (HDV) still requires a separate plug-in. This new version adds Bezier curve tools for keyframes and the ability to save custom effects parameters (After Effects now has the latter feature, too), plus it now includes a set of automatic colour correction tools - borrowed from Photoshop. In return, Photoshop has gained a collection of templates that match the aspect ratio and resolution of your current Premiere Pro project.
In the same vein, After Effects plug-ins that you've installed now appear within Premiere Pro, and you can copy projects and assets from one application and paste them into the other - though certain restraints on content apply. Premiere Pro 1.5 also maintains the resolution of imported stills, allowing easier pan and zoom shots with high-resolution images. You'll also find it contains a collection of GPU-accelerated effects in Premiere Pro's line-up. These use your OpenGL-compliant graphics card to preview certain effects (like page curls) without the need for rendering. This is a step in the right direction, though it's nowhere near the standard already set by Pinnacle's Liquid Edition.
While Encore DVD 1.5 may still lack features that are common to consumer DVD authoring tools (like slideshow creation or wizard-based DVD creation), professional authors will appreciate the tight integration with Photoshop for menu creation, allowing them to view changes made to a menu within Encore DVD immediately after it's edited in Photoshop. Chapter point handling has also been improved, with markers in Premiere Pro/After Effects projects now honoured in Encore DVD timelines.
After Effects 6.5 users will appreciate the new cloning tools and slick text animation presets found in the new version, with the Professional version also adding script automation controls, motion tracking enhancements and advanced colour processing/effects tools. You can also preview your work with a FireWire-connected device.
Finally, Audition 1.5 (for audio recording/editing) now includes industry-standard VST plug-in support, pitch/length correction, and the ability to view video frames in the timeline (handy for synchronising soundtracks). Audition also supports ReWire syncing, bringing it in line with audio tools like Cubase SX, and has integrated CD burning to create masters of your work.
With the exception of After Effects and Photoshop, the individual applications in Adobe's Video Collection aren't typically considered to be the leaders in their respective fields. However, with this level of feature sharing and component integration, the sum is most definitely greater than its parts. Video enthusiasts will probably find all their needs catered to by the Standard version, while the Professional collection provides a complete set of tools for the small- to medium-size video studio.
of Video Collection's interface integration. Although the interfaces remain the same, integration between Video Collection's individual applications has been tightened up.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther
- FTProject Support Officer/ Project Coordinator - GovernmentOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- CCSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTIBM COGNOS ICM DeveloperOther
- TPPenetration TesterQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior/Mid Front-end Developer/DesignerOther
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSAED CoordinatorOther
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTSenior Security ConsultantNSW
- TPProgram Support OfficerQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- CCDatabase AnalystNSW
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCMS Dynamics Technical Consultant - 6 month contract Initially - SydneyNSW