AirTight Networks SpectraGuard Sentry
- Easy to use, rich list of features
- No DHCP server, can't protect wired network
The SpectraGuard Sentry offers simple, comprehensive protection to a wireless network. If only it could protect wired connections, too.
Price$ 977.20 (AUD)
Unsecured wireless networks can pose a serious risk to small to medium businesses. Irrespective of how well locked down the wired network may be, all a user has to do is install a rogue access point at their desk to expose the corporate network.
The SpectraGuard Sentry is a basic wireless firewall pitched at small businesses, designed to protect an entire wireless network. It sniffs out any unauthorised access points and automatically protects the network from outside attacks. It will also hunt down any open wireless networks, and those secured by WEP instead of the much more robust WPA security systems.
The device itself is small, measuring 21 x 13 x 3cm (including antennae). It includes two antennae and features support for 802.11a/b/g networks straight out of the box. The silver unit is wall mountable, and accepts a power over Ethernet (PoE) connection to its single LAN port, so you can place it in a hard to reach spot, away from prying eyes. A single serial console connection accompanies a Kensington lock to round out the feature set.
Installation is straightforward: simply connect the device to a PC with the supplied crossover cable, and point a browser towards the inbuilt configuration menu. All the settings are provided in an HTML-based "Dashboard", and it takes just a few minutes to set up the device. DHCP is fully supported; however, the machine doesn't include a server itself.
The user interface is easy to use, and it's extremely straightforward to take down any unauthorised access points, clients or ad hoc connections found on the network. We tested this numerous times during the review process with a range of consumer-oriented Linksys, Belkin and NETGEAR wireless devices, and the Sentry accurately detected each within seconds.
The intrusion detection systems are top-notch, and the Sentry uses continuous events monitoring to keep abreast of threats. It also includes protection against access point MAC address spoofing (so users on your wireless network can't be tricked into connecting to an access point masquerading as another), and denial of service (DoS) attacks.
All told, AirTight's SpectraGuard Sentry does a great job of simplifying small business wireless security. Given the low price of desktop access points these days, the cost is a small price to pay to secure the data on your network. You'll need another device to secure your wired network, however, as the Sentry is focused on Wi-Fi only.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTPractice Director DevelopmentSA
- FTData ModellingACT
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Project Coordinator, Multiple projectsOther
- FTCustomer & Sales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsOther
- TPEL1 Business AnalystACT
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst - IntermediateQLD
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther