Alien Skin Software Bokeh
Bokeh is the real-world photographic technique for creating images where the subject is largely in focus and the background is blurred.
- Excellent, realistic-looking results; great fine-tuning controls
- Using the plug-in often requires manual cutouts, which are time-consuming
Alien Skin is great if you or your photographer doesn’t have access to the necessary lenses to achieve a Bokeh effect, or you want to add this effect at the end of a composition.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Bokeh is the real-world photographic technique for creating images where the subject is largely in focus and the background is blurred. The effect is usually caused by using a shallow depth-of-field with a large aperture lens (such as Canon’s EF 85mm f/1.2 II), or a telephoto or macro lens; it’s common in wedding, sports or nature photography.
Alien Skin’s plug-in fakes this effect, which is great if you or your photographer doesn’t have access to such lenses, or you want to add this effect at the end of a composition.
After applying the plug-in, you can choose the type of lens you want, or just use the default setting. This is for sticklers, as we saw little difference between the lens options. More important is the amount of bokeh and whether you apply it over the whole image, with a round unblurred focal region (and the focus dropping away from this gradually), or a flat gradient of focus from one region to another (here called planar). Both focal regions include handle-driven controls that are fast and easy to use.
The downside is that, unless the depth of the image allows smoothly flat or round dropping-away of focus, you’re still going to need to cut out the foreground subject before applying your bokeh – which can be time-consuming. Both the acorn (above) and taps (below) were cut out in Photoshop before applying full and radial bokeh respectively.
Bokeh includes fine-tuning controls over aperture type – including the diaphram shape and the ‘creaminess’ over the highlights – and vignetting, to mimic real lenses in a way that Photoshop’s blur tools can’t match.
It supports the 64-bit Vista version of Photoshop and 16-bit images, but not 32-bit ones (or CMYK pictures).
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
- Huawei CEO Talks Up AI Ambitions At IFA
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- TPSenior Service DeskVIC
- CCService Delivery AnalystVIC
- FTDesign Delivery Manager - Civil Engineering Background X2Other
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness analyst - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTApplication Security Specialist - penetration testing requiredOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer x2Other
- FTSenior Asset Information OfficerOther
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - NetworkingOther
- CCJira AdministratorNSW
- FTTest Specialist - Automation ToolsQLD
- FTData Specialist (SSIS, CRM)ACT
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - ISO9001ACT
- FTEnd User Support OfficerSA
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Tester - HardwareOther
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceQLD
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW