Altec Lansing iM4
- Portability, Decent sound quality
- Distortion at highest volume
The iM4 delivers above average sound quality for a set of portable speakers.
Price$ 169.95 (AUD)
The iM4 is an all around performer in the portable speaker space. It can be used with most portable audio devices, and combines portability and a simple design with surprisingly well balanced sound.
Slightly larger when compared to some portable products we have tested, measuring 261mm x 134mm x 26mm, the iM4 utilises a simple yet effective design. The speakers slide out from the centre unit and can rotate to a full 180 degrees; although this range of motion is hardly necessary as you would never want them pointed directly at the ceiling.
The iM4 is predominantly plastic, with a rubber surface on the top of the unit to rest your audio device on. An inbuilt retracting cable is then used to connect it to the speakers. In the box you'll find an additional longer input cable ideal for a laptop connection as well as four power adaptors for use in different parts of the world.
On the whole we were quiet satisfied with the sound quality of the iM4. Where portable speakers are notorious for emitting unfulfilling bass and emphasising the higher frequencies, the iM4 was surprisingly well balanced. Although the bass was not wonderful, instruments in the lower frequencies were quite clear and had enough presence and power to be felt during our listening sessions.
However, some distortion was present when we pushed it to the highest volume, leading to a deteriorating clarity in the upper registers. Overall the iM4 produced a well balanced sound, which is impressive for a portable speaker system of its size and price.
Combining an analogue power button and volume slider the design may not be the most innovative around, but the iM4's simplicity, portability, and good sound quality make this an attractive package.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPSenior .Net Developer - 6 months contractQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst with Testing backgroundOther
- FTEnd User Support OfficerSA
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FTAPI Developer / Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- TP.NET DeveloperNSW
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCIT Portfolio Management AnalystWA
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- TPChange ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager - ServiceNowOther
- TPLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Transformation ConsultantOther
- FTBig Data EngineerOther
- CCDevOps ConsultantQLD
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- CCLinux / Devops EngineerNSW
- FTIT Security SpecialistACT