Altech Computers Matador No. 1
- Inexpensive ready-to-go package.
- Limited upgrade options, noisy power supply fan.
While this system will handle the casual tasks of the everyday user and it is very inexpensive for a complete, ready-to-go setup, the upgrade limitations make it less appealing to other systems around the same price point.
Price$ 1,014.00 (AUD)
If you're looking for a budget PC option, the Altech Matador No.1 offers a complete package. This is a neat combination that includes the PC, a 17in LCD, keyboard and mouse. It comes with Windows XP Home and includes a coupon for a free Vista upgrade. The Matador will happily run most tasks required of the average PC without a hitch, but it does have some upgrade limitations.
Using this machine for surfing online, burning DVDs, completing homework or doing home accounting will be fine, but if you decide you need more taxing tasks such as advanced photo editing or producing music, you may find these programs demand more than this PC can give.
The Matador No.1 includes an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz) CPU installed with 512MB of 400MHz DDR RAM. It uses an integrated VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip rather than a dedicated graphics card. With these specifications it was able to score 82 in World Bench 5. This score suggests it will handle most everyday tasks, and puts this system in a great position for the user who needs to do their essential home and business work.
The installed mini-ATX motherboard only supports an 8x AGP (advanced graphics port) slot and three PCI slots. Altech's decision to use a motherboard that doesn't support PCI Express leaves this system in limbo for future upgrades. Although many graphics card manufacturers are making AGP versions of their recently marketed cards, the best performance comes with PCI Express cards. This motherboard also restricts the kind of RAM you can use, limiting it to PC3200 (DDR400MHz) RAM. The latest AMD CPUs use the AM2 socket, but the Matador No. 1 motherboard uses socket 754. This means an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.4GHz) is the best CPU available to install in this system.
There is only one IDE and SATA port free with the DVD re-writer and 80GB hard drive installed, which doesn't allow much expansion. However, the available upgrades will improve system performance and should be fairly inexpensive too, so there's still room for improvement. Simply increasing the RAM will help system performance and may be the easiest and cheapest option to boost this PC.
The minimal hardware means there's little heat generated and as such, the CPU fan and power supply fan should be enough to keep it at a functioning temperature. We did note that the power supply fan seems to be constantly running at full speed, so noise is noticeable.
Connectivity is fairly standard with six USB ports and a 10/100 Ethernet connection. The case has a pleasant design and allows for up to five 3.5in hard drive bays, two 3.5in external (floppy drive) bays and four 5.25in optical drive bays. On the fascia, users will find two of the six USB ports but there's no FireWire or audio ports easily accessible on the front panel.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- The Pi Desktop kit transforms your Raspberry Pi into a stylish, SSD-powered mini-PC
- Qualcomm: First Windows 10 ARM PC coming in the fourth quarter
- User-created patch lets Kaby Lake and Ryzen PCs receive Windows 7 updates
- Samsung DeX turns your Galaxy S8 into a shockingly good desktop PC
- Intel scraps annual IDF event as it looks beyond PCs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- The simple RAM buying guide
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPTechnical AnalystVIC
- PTThe job "Project Manager" is now ExpiredNSW
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperSA
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer (Windows & Virtualization)VIC
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- CCMid-level Business Process Analyst (Automation) - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTWEB DesignerQLD
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerVIC
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- TPProject Manager - SOE / Office 365VIC
- CCWCEM DeveloperACT
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- CCData Warehouse Solution DesignersACT
- FTProgramme ManagerACT
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Web Developer/Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCProject Manager - Salesforce ImplementationVIC