Altech Computers Matador No. 1
- Inexpensive ready-to-go package.
- Limited upgrade options, noisy power supply fan.
While this system will handle the casual tasks of the everyday user and it is very inexpensive for a complete, ready-to-go setup, the upgrade limitations make it less appealing to other systems around the same price point.
Price$ 1,014.00 (AUD)
If you're looking for a budget PC option, the Altech Matador No.1 offers a complete package. This is a neat combination that includes the PC, a 17in LCD, keyboard and mouse. It comes with Windows XP Home and includes a coupon for a free Vista upgrade. The Matador will happily run most tasks required of the average PC without a hitch, but it does have some upgrade limitations.
Using this machine for surfing online, burning DVDs, completing homework or doing home accounting will be fine, but if you decide you need more taxing tasks such as advanced photo editing or producing music, you may find these programs demand more than this PC can give.
The Matador No.1 includes an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0GHz) CPU installed with 512MB of 400MHz DDR RAM. It uses an integrated VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip rather than a dedicated graphics card. With these specifications it was able to score 82 in World Bench 5. This score suggests it will handle most everyday tasks, and puts this system in a great position for the user who needs to do their essential home and business work.
The installed mini-ATX motherboard only supports an 8x AGP (advanced graphics port) slot and three PCI slots. Altech's decision to use a motherboard that doesn't support PCI Express leaves this system in limbo for future upgrades. Although many graphics card manufacturers are making AGP versions of their recently marketed cards, the best performance comes with PCI Express cards. This motherboard also restricts the kind of RAM you can use, limiting it to PC3200 (DDR400MHz) RAM. The latest AMD CPUs use the AM2 socket, but the Matador No. 1 motherboard uses socket 754. This means an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.4GHz) is the best CPU available to install in this system.
There is only one IDE and SATA port free with the DVD re-writer and 80GB hard drive installed, which doesn't allow much expansion. However, the available upgrades will improve system performance and should be fairly inexpensive too, so there's still room for improvement. Simply increasing the RAM will help system performance and may be the easiest and cheapest option to boost this PC.
The minimal hardware means there's little heat generated and as such, the CPU fan and power supply fan should be enough to keep it at a functioning temperature. We did note that the power supply fan seems to be constantly running at full speed, so noise is noticeable.
Connectivity is fairly standard with six USB ports and a 10/100 Ethernet connection. The case has a pleasant design and allows for up to five 3.5in hard drive bays, two 3.5in external (floppy drive) bays and four 5.25in optical drive bays. On the fascia, users will find two of the six USB ports but there's no FireWire or audio ports easily accessible on the front panel.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
- Dell’s Inspiron 27 7000 is the first Ryzen All-in-One PC, and it's upgradable too
- Nvidia's new generation of powerful GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs finally embraces AMD
- The Pi Desktop kit transforms your Raspberry Pi into a stylish, SSD-powered mini-PC
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- TPSenior Server Engineer/System AdministratorWA
- FTSoftware Developer - Banking SolutionsOther
- FTColdFusion DeveloperOther
- FTASP.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport Officer - cost management & estimating co-ordinationOther
- CCJunior Business Process Analyst - Part timeQLD
- CCBusiness Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSplunk AnalystOther
- FTLean Six Sigma - Change ConsultantOther
- FTCustomer Support OperatorSA
- CCSAP ABAP DevelopersNSW
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperSA
- FTSenior PHP ProgrammerSA
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork Security EngineerVIC
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Cloud Engineer and SME, AWS, AzureNSW
- TPSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - CISCOACT
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, WealthNSW
- FTDelivery Manager - Agile / Scrum / DigitalOther