Altech Computers Sputnik BTX Deluxe
- 500 GB storage, competitive price
- Limitations of BTX case
If you don't mind the BTX case, which won't let you easily upgrade your motherboard in the future, then this system is worth considering.
Price$ 1,990.00 (AUD)
Systems based on the BTX form factor are a rarity, primarily because only Intel motherboards are available in this form factor, and there aren't many of them out there. BTX was introduced by Intel to improve system cooling. In this form factor the CPU is situated near the front of the case, where a case fan feeds cool air across it and through the rest of the system.
Altech's Sputnik is the latest system to use the BTX form factor and its inclusion in our Best Buys chart this month is due to its competitive price and decent performance. We also love the fact that it comes with two 250GB Samsung hard drives installed in a RAID 0 array. Its 500GB of total space is the most we have seen in a sub-$2000 machine and it's perfect for those of you who like video editing. To facilitate video editing, the machine does have FireWire ports in addition to numerous USB 2.0 ports and Gigabit Ethernet.
A Pentium 4 630 CPU is installed, along with 1GB of RAM, which will give you decent straight-line speed for working with office applications and encoding media files (it took 2m28s to encode 53 minutes worth of wave files to 192Kbps MP3 files) and its GeForce 6600GT graphics adapter will let you play a few games on it, too. Altech ships the machine with a double-layer DVD burner and decent input peripherals, as well as a 17in Samsung LCD monitor, but omits a media card reader. The machine's build quality is sturdy and the cable management is neat, but the hard drives are in a position where they can not be cooled by the main system fan.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple Roll Out High Sierra
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTPMO ManagerOther
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersVIC
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorVIC
- CCSupport Specialist MQ and ESB AdministrationNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (Business Process Modelling) - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTLead Front End DeveloperOther
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystACT
- FTAgile Business Analyst, CXOther
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorNSW
- CCData Scientist - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTSAP Payroll Test LeadOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCFinance AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- TPeLearning Developer / TrainerVIC
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- CCPega DevelopersACT
- CCSalesforce CloudSense LeadVIC
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical Support OfficerOther
- FTAutomation Tester - SeleniumACT
- CCJava DeveloperNSW