Alwil Avast Internet Security 5.0
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 did a reasonably good job at stopping active infections on our test PC
- Respectable malware detection, fast scan speed
- Has problems detecting new malware
The performance of Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 was a modest surprise, with fast scans and respectable scores, but its problems with detecting brand-new malware makes it difficult to recommend just yet. We look forward to seeing what next year's edition brings.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0, offers all the basic PC protection features and does a reasonable job at traditional malware detection. It is also fast. However, it fell short at detecting new threats, and it lacks some features present in other suites.
The Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 interface is well-designed, with a clean, sophisticated look that is not only attractive but easy to use. But at times, the product is not intuitive enough: When scanning your hard drive, for example, you'll have to tell the suite what to do every time it finds an infection, and you can't proceed with the scan until you tend to the alert message. While this gives the user control, it can get annoying on a truly infected drive.
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 did a reasonably good job at stopping active infections on our test PC. It detected all infected files and Registry entries and disabled 93 percent of the infections. However, it removed all traces of malware in only a third of the cases.
Similarly, at detecting and disabling rootkits (stealth malware used to hide other infections), Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 did well, though it wasn't perfect. It detected and disabled all rootkit samples, but completely removed only 60 percent of the samples - the worst performance in that test. By comparison, our top two finishers completely removed all the rootkits on our test PC.
The Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 firewall works similarly to the Windows firewall: It asks you to designate each network as Home, Work, or Public. The settings offer different degrees of protection: The Public setting blocks the most traffic (since public networks are less secure), while the Home setting allows more traffic through. Work is the default, and it provides a middle ground.
The antispam function is more developed than the firewall. It labels suspected junk with "***SPAM***" in the subject lines (you may still need to set up a filter to move it to your spam folder). It integrates with Microsoft Outlook and some email clients. It can also scan web-based email clients such as Gmail.
Not all suites offer behavioural detection; Avast does, but it scored very poorly in detecting brand-new malware for which no signature file yet exists. It detected, disabled, and removed only around 27 percent of such samples. By comparison, our top performers detected all, or almost all, samples in this test.
In old-school signature-based detection of a collection of several hundred thousand malware samples, Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 demonstrated a respectable detection rate of 96.5 percent. The top performer in this test detected over 99.9 percent of samples. But given the amount of new malware daily, behavioural and active scanning tests are more important today.
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0's drag on system performance was hardly noticeable in our tests. It was the top performer overall in our suite of system speed tests, and was near the top in scanning speed. During scanning, Avast, like Norton Internet Security, uses an intelligent scanner to white-list known good files, and thus reduce the amount of time it requires to scan your drive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 First Look: Nikon D850
- 2 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 Google WiFi review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital Announces Acquisition of Upthere
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- NBN hooks up 6 million homes and businesses
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
- ICT Architects Still Command the Highest Advertised Salaries on SEEK
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDigital Acquisition Campaign ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystSA
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- TPWordPress DeveloperVIC
- CCMS Project Server DevelopersNSW
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTUX Designer | Mid Level | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- CCWindows & Linux Systems Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCCommercial AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- CCSAP Techno Function ConsultantNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTUX Designer | 9mth ContractOther
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTProject Manager | High Profile 4 year Transformation ProjectQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - BillPayOther
- FTData DeveloperOther
- CCWeb Developer/ PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTExperienced Application DeveloperSA
- CCPortfolio ManagerNSW
- FTOracle DB & Python DeveloperVIC