AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
- Incredible fast and stable, high score in all benchmarks
If you're a regular user of multimedia applications then put the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ at the top of your shopping list. It provides excellent multitasking performance and is stronger than Intel's flagship Extreme Edition 840 in some of the most popular CPU-intensive applications, such as Adobe Photoshop and Premiere.
Price$ 1,650.00 (AUD)
The Athlon 64 X2 is the same size as current single-core Athlon 64 CPUs, and does not require any new hardware--it will (theoretically) work on any Athlon 64 motherboard that has a 939-pin socket. However, some motherboards need a BIOS upgrade to provide full support for the X2. That's good news for those of us who already have a 939-pin setup, as we can make a significant CPU upgrade without forking out for a new motherboard.
The X2 retains all the features that have made the Athlon 64 such a popular CPU among performance seekers and enthusiasts. It has 64-bit processing, of course, as well as an integrated dual-channel DDR memory controller, Hyper-Transport technology, Cool'n'Quiet Technology, and SSE3 multimedia instructions (for applications that support them).
The two CPU cores in the X2 sit on the same piece of silicon, so they can "talk" to each other at full speed. They both have access to the memory controller in the CPU as well as the Hyper-Transport link.
Data requests are sent from these to the CPUs using a system request interface, which directs data to the CPU that requires it. Each CPU has its own Level 2 cache memory (size depending on the model you buy).
Initially, the X2 models available are the 4200+, 4400+, 4600+ and the 4800+. The 4200+ runs at 2.2GHz and has a 512KB cache; the 4400+ runs at 2.2GHz and has a 1MB cache. The 4600+ runs at 2.4GHz and has a 512KB cache; and the 4800+ runs at 2.4GHz and has a 1MB cache.
We tested the 4800+, and it achieved a record score (at the time of writing) of 109 in PC WorldBench 5 and was particularly strong in multitasking, Windows Media Encoder, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop tests.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- G.SKILL Releases New AMD Compatible Trident Z RGB kits
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject DirectorQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTProgram Director - Consulting FirmACT
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Administrator / Junior Network OperatorOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst (x2)NSW
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantOther
- FTClient PrincipalOther
- FTSystems AnalystsOther
- FTJunior-Mid Infra Project ManagerOther
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTInformation Security ManagerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperOther
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCContent WriterNSW
- CCSAP WCEM/Java DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- CCETL DevelopersACT
- FTEAI DeveloperVIC
- CCCICD ArchitectVIC