In the era of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), more and more major tech brands are being caught out when it comes to cloud-based storage solutions – and their customers are paying the price.
Review: Arcam MusicBoost for iPhone 6 and 6S
This battery case boosts your battery and enhances audio
- Sounds great
- Good battery enhancement
- Well built
- Badly muffles the mic on phone calls
- Non-replaceable battery
The MusicBoost feels good and only slightly boosts the size of an iPhone 6. But while the battery and audio enhancements work well, muffling the mic is a design flaw.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The MusicBoost case feels sturdy and easily slips on to an iPhone 6 or 6S. As with many other iPhone cases, no additional protection is offered to the screen. The addition of the case essentially pushes a 6S to the size of a 6S Plus.
The battery pack offers a 120% boost to the existing iPhone battery which it continually recharges as it goes. There’s a useful battery indicator to see what level it’s at too: you press a button and up to four LEDs light up.
But the main benefit of the MusicBoost s the Burr-Brown Digital-to-Analog-Converter (DAC). This is essentially an enhanced amplifier which makes music from the iPhone sound better – instead of using the iPhone’s built-in headphone jack, audio passes through the digital Lightening connector at the bottom of the iPhone and through the MusicBoost’s analog headphone port instead – and the difference is a noticeable improvement all round. Music sounds richer and fuller, even on the bundled, mediocre headphones that come with the iPhones.
So to this end, the MusicBoost does what it says on the tin. But it’s far from a qualified success. When the cover was on, ALL of the people we spoke to on the phone complained that our voice was too distant and quiet. This was whether music was playing or not.
As such, impinging on one of the prime functions of the phone knocks the overall score considerably. However, if you’re more interested by the music output enhancement then the high $299 RRP might seem cheap - although there are plenty of other DACs on the market that cost less and don't have a battery-extender included. For many other people the price will be too high for such a design critical flaw.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 2 Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- 3 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 4 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 5 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
Latest News Articles
- The NES Classic Edition is available on Amazon, so get it before it's gone
- Microsoft's pledge to win back the consumer needs to be more than just words
- This 4-port USB hub is just $3.50 today, $5 off list
- Thermaltake's Riing 12 Trio RGB fans can be voice-controlled with Amazon's Alexa
- Amazon has a $30 rebate on an MSI 8GB AMD Radeon RX 580, with bonus gift card
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?