Review: Arcam MusicBoost for iPhone 6 and 6S
This battery case boosts your battery and enhances audio
- Sounds great
- Good battery enhancement
- Well built
- Badly muffles the mic on phone calls
- Non-replaceable battery
The MusicBoost feels good and only slightly boosts the size of an iPhone 6. But while the battery and audio enhancements work well, muffling the mic is a design flaw.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The MusicBoost case feels sturdy and easily slips on to an iPhone 6 or 6S. As with many other iPhone cases, no additional protection is offered to the screen. The addition of the case essentially pushes a 6S to the size of a 6S Plus.
The battery pack offers a 120% boost to the existing iPhone battery which it continually recharges as it goes. There’s a useful battery indicator to see what level it’s at too: you press a button and up to four LEDs light up.
But the main benefit of the MusicBoost s the Burr-Brown Digital-to-Analog-Converter (DAC). This is essentially an enhanced amplifier which makes music from the iPhone sound better – instead of using the iPhone’s built-in headphone jack, audio passes through the digital Lightening connector at the bottom of the iPhone and through the MusicBoost’s analog headphone port instead – and the difference is a noticeable improvement all round. Music sounds richer and fuller, even on the bundled, mediocre headphones that come with the iPhones.
So to this end, the MusicBoost does what it says on the tin. But it’s far from a qualified success. When the cover was on, ALL of the people we spoke to on the phone complained that our voice was too distant and quiet. This was whether music was playing or not.
As such, impinging on one of the prime functions of the phone knocks the overall score considerably. However, if you’re more interested by the music output enhancement then the high $299 RRP might seem cheap - although there are plenty of other DACs on the market that cost less and don't have a battery-extender included. For many other people the price will be too high for such a design critical flaw.
- Review: Tudia Klip seeks to prolong the life of iPhone and iPad charging cables
- Smartphone uptake passes its peak as industry appetite wanes
- Apple starts test run of Safari 10
- The classic 'Slide to Unlock' iPhone gesture is gone from iOS 10
- watchOS 3 is Apple's most crowdsourced product ever
- Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones review: Active noise cancellation with no strings attached
- Review: Incipio OtterBox and 3Sixt cases for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Review: Wireless charging and waterproof cases for iPhone plus Ollclip (Movie) Studio case
- A technologically-flippant woman’s guide to technology. Part One
- iOS 10 on the iPad Pro: The 8 features you need to know
- HoudahGeo 5 review: Now every DSLR photo can include geotags
- Review: Surprise! The Oppo PM-2 planar magnetic headphones are some of the best you can buy
- Review: The best gaming headsets of the year
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Apple Music and Spotify add unofficial DJ remixes to be more like SoundCloud
- YouTube Music update improves sharing and preps for more playlist features
- Spotify ads slipped malware onto PCs and Macs
- No, Apple isn't buying rival streaming service Tidal
- Pandora teases on-demand music while launching Pandora Plus with offline listening
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Transition Manager (Permanent)Other
- FTRelease ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTContinuous Improvement - Lean ConsultantOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCTransformation Technical ArchitectWA
- FTProject Co-ordinator / Junior Project ManagerNSW
- CCLSS Black Belt ConsultantVIC
- TPEnterprise Architect | QLD Health | $1173/day | BrisbaneNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- CCNetwork Problem Management Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCInfrastructure System Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- TPJunior Business AnalystWA
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- FTFull Stack Web DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness Process BAOther
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SydneyOther
- CCWindows System Admin with IIS - Insurance ClientQLD
- CCDB2 SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Project Manager, Civil, Operations, ConstructionOther
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- FTEAM SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther