Review: Arcam MusicBoost for iPhone 6 and 6S
This battery case boosts your battery and enhances audio
- Sounds great
- Good battery enhancement
- Well built
- Badly muffles the mic on phone calls
- Non-replaceable battery
The MusicBoost feels good and only slightly boosts the size of an iPhone 6. But while the battery and audio enhancements work well, muffling the mic is a design flaw.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The MusicBoost case feels sturdy and easily slips on to an iPhone 6 or 6S. As with many other iPhone cases, no additional protection is offered to the screen. The addition of the case essentially pushes a 6S to the size of a 6S Plus.
The battery pack offers a 120% boost to the existing iPhone battery which it continually recharges as it goes. There’s a useful battery indicator to see what level it’s at too: you press a button and up to four LEDs light up.
But the main benefit of the MusicBoost s the Burr-Brown Digital-to-Analog-Converter (DAC). This is essentially an enhanced amplifier which makes music from the iPhone sound better – instead of using the iPhone’s built-in headphone jack, audio passes through the digital Lightening connector at the bottom of the iPhone and through the MusicBoost’s analog headphone port instead – and the difference is a noticeable improvement all round. Music sounds richer and fuller, even on the bundled, mediocre headphones that come with the iPhones.
So to this end, the MusicBoost does what it says on the tin. But it’s far from a qualified success. When the cover was on, ALL of the people we spoke to on the phone complained that our voice was too distant and quiet. This was whether music was playing or not.
As such, impinging on one of the prime functions of the phone knocks the overall score considerably. However, if you’re more interested by the music output enhancement then the high $299 RRP might seem cheap - although there are plenty of other DACs on the market that cost less and don't have a battery-extender included. For many other people the price will be too high for such a design critical flaw.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG V50 ThinQ 5G review: Two bad
- 2 Oppo Reno 5G review: Big Deal
- 3 Huawei P30 review: How badly do you need a headphone jack?
- 4 Moto G7 Plus review: Better where it counts
- 5 TP-Link Deco M4 review: Expansion pack
Latest News Articles
- Spotify teams up with Google Home Mini
- Apple Music and Spotify add unofficial DJ remixes to be more like SoundCloud
- YouTube Music update improves sharing and preps for more playlist features
- Spotify ads slipped malware onto PCs and Macs
- No, Apple isn't buying rival streaming service Tidal
PCW Evaluation Team
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
I’d recommend a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 and the new Windows 10 to anyone who needs to get serious work done (before you kick back on your couch with your favourite Netflix show.)
It’s useful for office tasks as well as pragmatic labelling of equipment and storage – just don’t get too excited and label everything in sight!
- Save The Date: The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 is being announced on August 7
- Everything you need to know before you buy a 5G phone in Australia
- Oppo Reno 5G review: Big Deal
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?