Artlandia SymmetryShop 2
- Flexible tools to create patterns; Smart Object support boosts options
- Pricey; steep learning curve
If you create enough patterns to make the price and time taken to learn the toolset worthwhile, then SymmetryShop is an excellent tool.
Price$ 295.00 (AUD)
SymmetryShop is a plug-in for creating patterns in Photoshop, based on the popular SymmetryWorks 2 plug-in for Illustrator. It's a niche tool and seems pricey -- but if you regularly create patterns for textiles or fashion, it can make a huge difference to your work.
The first version took a lot of time to master, partly because a deep understanding of how pattern aesthetics is necessary -- though this is true whether you're creating patterns with a plug-in or by hand. It was also due to a slightly tricky interface, which hasn't changed.
Version 2 adds function largely based on the Smart Object feature introduced in Photoshop CS2 -- so you'll need that version to access these. By combining layers into a single Smart Object, you can create patterns in SymmetryShop 2 from multiple layers/images -- such as from the flower image and grass brush stroke (as seen in one of the images above).
Building patterns this way gives you a lot more flexibility over how two or more elements combine in a pattern, compared with having to merge layers as you did in version 1.
By using Smart Objects, you can go back and alter the original elements (or 'seeds') without having to apply settings all over again. You can also combine symmetry types to create interesting patterns.
Other welcome additions include support for editable text and vector layers -- again making altering designs easier and quicker.
Installation is fiddly -- you have to manually copy files to your plug-in folder and it crashed a few times during setup. We also saw a few crashes in use.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Samsung Gear Sport review: A worthy contender
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPSenior Business Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FTProgram Manager - CRM software solutionsOther
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTUI / UX DesignerOther
- CCGenesys ConsultantACT
- TPJava DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - InfrastructureWA
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPLead Engineer - .Net / XamarinQLD
- TPTechnical Consultant - SOE, SCCMNSW
- CCICT Technical WriterACT
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior Test Analyst - ContractOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTAgile Coach/Scrum MasterOther
- FTProject Coordinator, Technology ProjectsOther
- FTBusiness Analyst (Engineer) Mining SystemsOther
- CCSenior Test Automation Engineers x 3NSW
- FTMarketing ExecutiveOther
- CCRollout EngineerNSW
- TPSolution Architect - HealthQLD